Help me slam my green pool

The article said give it a week or so of slamming and scrubbing.
Not actually. Since you need to SLAM, that is one process. Once you finish that, then you follow the Black Algae process.

A portion of it is: Maintain an FC level between the high end of the recommended “Normal” range and the Shock (SLAM) level according to your pool’s CYA level. For example, if your pool’s CYA is 40, the high end of the “Normal” FC range is 7 ppm and the Shock/SLAM level is 16 ppm. Maintain FC within this range until all signs of black algae are gone. Refer to either the PoolMath tool or the Chlorine/CYA Chart for the recommended FC ranges.

So have every backwashed the filter? It is either DE or Sand.

Ok I re read the black algae piece. I assumed you were doing a slam if you had black algae. But re reading it I guess that’s not always the case.

I was adding no more algae to the requirements the successful slam. So in my case - could the slam be over and I still have visible black algae. At this point we could swim. We maintain FC at the high end. And I keep scrubbing the black algae.

and yes I backwashed on Monday morning prior to starting slam.

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, the SLAM could and most likely will be over and you will still have the black algae.

You can swim as long as your FC is at or below SLAM level FC and you can see the bottom of the pool.

Slam is complete. Passed OCLT this AM. Thank for all the help!

IMG_5274.jpg

I still have visible black algae all over. I will follow those instructions. Let FC drop to the high end of whatever pool math says.

I have to clean and or replace the Salt Cell. I fixed the Flow wire that was cut this AM.

Two questions -
I bought a Pentair Warrior SI. Can I run that now with the black algae present?

Also since I think I need to move on to rubbing the trichlor tablet on the black algae. Should I buy this pentair pole attachment? It gets awful reviews. Or do I do the deep end by hand while swimming?
2020-05-31.png

OK so I cleaned the Salt Cell. Now I cannot for the life of me get the pump to prime.

I used teflon tape on the salt cell. Used o-ring lubricant. I have the pressure release valve open slightly. Put some water in the pump. start it and it sucks in the initial water i have loaded in. Never seems to get going. I assume i screwed up the connection at the salt cell? I have redone it several times. This quick project has turned into a lost day. Pool has water etc.

How long should it take the pump to prime etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salt cell will not effect pump priming. A suction side leak will do that.
Check your weir door to be sure it is not stuck closed.

I had bought some trichlor pucks at Costco. The chlorox xtrablue. Turns out you guys don’t like them. I will return them.

what trichlor pucks do you guys recommend?

looks like Walmart carries
Pool Essentials 3-Inch Chlorine Tablet

HTH Super 3 Inch Chlorine Tablets

How long will it take to rid my pool of black algae. Its looking better. But there is a significant amount of it left.

How high can I run the chlorine? I know it says somewhere between 7 and SLAM level. And it is ok to swim up to SLAM level. I have little kids - under 1, 3 and 5. CYA should be around 70-80 now(need to recheck). I feel uncomfortable putting my kids in the pool with Chlorine at 20.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.