Help me Please! - No Chlorine no matter what

Oct 2, 2018
Arlington, TX
I will start by trying to give you as much background on this problem as possible.... We just bought this house 2 months ago. We didn't know anything about pools... Went to pool store for advice. Had water tested @ August 10. It was okay. Was advised to add 1-2 pounds of Chlor-brite a week until we figured out what we were doing. Followed that advice and for the next several weeks focused on moving in and getting out of our old house. We were waiting for delivery of a new pool vacuum so couldn't clean it well except for what we could get out with the net. Pool continued to look fine.

It's and in-ground vinyl liner pool. Approximately 10,000 gallons. A Hayward DE4820 filter.

First week of September had someone come to clean the filter and he tested the water and there was no chlorine. At all. Which was weird since husband had put 2 pounds of Chlor-brite in 2 days previous. Added another two pounds and started this cycle of adding more Chlor-brite every couple days and testing to see that there was no chlorine a couple days later. Using a Taylor K-1004 test kit (as recommended by they guy we had come clean the filter) Also cleaned pool super well that first week with new pool vac. Pool always looked clear. Alkalinity kept dropping a little so were adding baking soda pretty regularly also. Finally got frustrated and started googling - and found this site. Had water tested at pool store again since my kit did not test CYA. It was 100. Probably because of all the dichlor we'd added over the previous 2-3 weeks.

Decided to try the SLAM thing, but had to get CYA down first. Backwashed to drain pool and refilled several times (plus it rained at ton) over the next week. Retested on last Friday 9/28 and CYA was down to 70. 0 FC, 0 CC, 80 TA, PH 7.4. Also bought a FAS-DPD test kit to measure higher amounts of chlorine. There is a few tiny bits of green algae on the shady side of the pool now.

On Saturday vacuumed the pool and started adding bleach in the amount prescribed on pool math to get to shock level (4 gallons I think). Checked chlorine an hour later - FC=0, CC up to 3.
Added 4 more gallons. Checked chlorine an hour later - FC =0, CC still 3. WTH!!!
Sunday morning bought more bleach this time a concentrated form at Lowe's. Vacummed again
Test results - FC:0; CC: 3; PH: 7.2; TA: 80 Added 3 more gallons. Checked a couple hours late. FC=0, CC =4. Pool looks beautiful though.
Summary = 11 gallons of bleach. No Free chlorine in the pool.

Started Googling again and read on here about possible ammonia contamination that would eat up that much chlorine. Decided not to do anything else until I test ammonia. Sent DH to pet store, and to buy more bleach. Test results as follows.
FC= 0
CC: 3
PH: 6.8
TA: 50
Ammonia: .5
Read about trying to get FC to hold at 10 and measuring in 10 minute increments before getting to shock level when trying to deal with ammonia. Need to get water balanced again first. Added 3# of baking soda - all I had.

Monday 10/01
FC :0
CC:1
PH:7.2
TA: 60
Ammonia .5
Added 3 more pounds of baking soda as recommended by pool math.

Tuesday (today) 9:25 am
FC:0
CC:1
PH: 7.2
TA: 80
Ammonia .5
So now I can add bleach again. Added 1 Gallon of 10% bleach
For the next two hours I tested and added more bleach in 15-20 minute increments. (Wait 10m. pull water. Test, get on pool math, add the recommended bleach). I'll spare you every single test result, but FC ranged from 3.5-4.5, and CC stayed at 1.5.

Decided to try to add chlorine up to 15ppm instead of 10ppm as I wondered if the lag between pulling water and getting ready to add the next round of bleach was letting the level drop too low to make the math invalid.
Over the next hour did three more rounds of bleach and test.

Last test at 12:30pm
FC=7.5
Cc: 1
TA: 90
Ammonia: .25
So maybe making progress on the ammonia... but I'm out of bleach at this point.

Tested again after 30 minutes 1:00pm
FC: 4
CC: 1
TA: 90

At 2:00pm
FC: 1
CC: 1.5
So I'm sure there is no chlorine again at this point. And I don't know what to do next.

To summarize I've put in over 20 gallons of bleach in the last 4 days. and still not keeping any FC. But the pool looks very nice. It's super clean. I've been cleaning out every little leaf and bug twice a day for the last week. Vacuumed twice. I see no signs of any algae.

Is ammonia my problem? Do I keep just doing what I'm doing? If so how much bleach do I really need because I've got 2 kids and can't go to the store all the time.

Am I missing something? I'm pretty detail oriented by nature and have done hours of research on this site and others, but as I stated originally I'm new to this, and science and math was never really my forte (Thank God for the pool math calculator).

I hope someone has some insight because this pool is going to kill me.

Jessica

Hi Jessica and welcome! :wave: Well, if it's not ammonia (could have been), there were some other chemicals eating up the chlorine. Yes, you need to continue. Don't get side tracked with TA or anything else. The pH is at 7.2-ish and that's all that matters. The thing about ammonia is that if it was in there, it would probably have eaten up the CYA as well. I would suggest the following:
1. Re-test CYA. If it's zero, don't add any yet. Continue with the 10 min FC testing, elevating FC to 10 and re-test in 10 minutes. Do that consistently until it holds between 5-10 FC after 10 minutes. Once you make it that far, then you can add enough stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30 and begin increasing FC to "12" and continue the SLAM Process.

2. If you do show CYA in the water, let's say 50 for example, then it's not ammonia. You need to increase the FC to 20 which is the SLAM/Shock level for someone with a CYA of 50. If your CYA is different, refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and maintain your FC at the appropriate level for your current CYA.

During this initial period, it's important to test frequently at first to maintain the FC SLAM level. Eventually the pool will kick the "bug" that's eating the chlorine and begin to win the battle, but your consistency and testing fairly frequently is key. Find a good source for regular bleach or pool chlorine too. Down here we have HEB, but I don't think you have those in your area. Also make sure to follow all the tips on the SLAM Process page for best success.

Last option, if the cost of water isn't that much, do a fairly healthy water exchange (say 1/2 or so), confirm CYA, pH, and FC and start over in hopes the fresh water will help overturn what was in there to begin with. But you'll still want to resume the SLAM Process if you add new water.

Keep us posted and let us know how it's going. Good luck!

Thank you Texas Splash. Can I ask a couple clarifying questions?

I will re-test CYA in the morning but as of 4 days ago (on Friday) there was definitely a CYA level of 70. So can I rule out an ammonia problem because of that? If so, is an ammonia test reading of .5 or .25 normal? Is there an okay or normal ammonia level?

If we rule out the ammonia issue and proceed to SLAM procedure. How often is "frequent" testing. Saturday and Sunday I tested an hour after adding chlorine per the procedure to test "no less than 1 hour and at least twice a day." I was trying to get to 28ppm per a CYA of 70. It continually showed 0 FC after an hour. Can't really say if it ever got to SLAM level at all because when I tested an hour later it was 0. Should I test the first time after 10 minutes?

How much bleach should I buy tomorrow to do this? Going to the store every day is seriously a beating with a 2 year old. She's at Mother's Day out tomorrow and the older one is at a day program tomorrow too, so if I can get this done tomorrow I would be so happy. I know of course I have to do the overnight test too.

Assuming not ammonia... and no apparent algae, WTH might be going on here????

I don't know all the possibilities, but I'll mention four I've seen others struggle with:

1. bad chlorine
2. bad reagents
3. bad testing methods
4. hidden algae

If you're desperate, you can use basic troubleshooting techniques to rule them out. I don't think these are the problem, but while you're waiting around between tests, you can work on them if any seem plausible.

It sounds like you've been buying chlorine from multiple sources. Which is one way to rule out #1. Familiarize yourself with how to read the manufacturer date codes for chlorine to make sure you're buying fresh chlorine, and not buying very old chlorine, just to make sure. The more sources you can buy from, the more you can rule this possibility out.

Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

For #2, find the expiration dates on the reagents you're using, and confirm they are fresh. Buy more even if the reagents are not expired. You'll use them up if you later learn this was not the problem. Rule out #2 by testing using multiple batches of reagents.

Rule out #3 in either or both of two ways: have someone impartial perform a few FC tests. Don't coach them. Let them read the directions and do the test. Don't hand them reagents. We're ruling out you making any mistakes yourself, so you have to take yourself out of the equation. And/or: recite here exactly how you are testing. Include what you use to sample, how you clean/rinse all your test gear, from where in the pool you sample, is the pump running, how deep in the water, the reagent numbers, the expiration dates, how you add the reagents, how you stir and mix them, etc. Anything you can think of to describe the process, so we can double check your methods and try to find anything you might be doing wrong.

For #4, is there anywhere a chunk of algae could be hiding, and have you looked? Behind a light? In a ladder? Are there removable steps? In the skimmer? Check the weir door. Etc. Any place that could be harboring algae. Think like a microscopic plant!!

Not much help, just graspin' with you. Otherwise, follow the chem advice you're getting and battle on. By the way, don't mix and match advice. Like from TFP and the pool store, or a neighbor or pool guy. You're free to go about this anyway you choose, of course, but if you're combining the attack strategy you're getting from here, with any other ideas from another source, then that could be self defeating. Pick one ally, and if that's to be TFP, then it's TFP alone. Report anything you do to the water...

Okay so just had water retested. At pool store because my kit can't test CYA. I know now to buy a better kit next time. ;)

FC : 0 (of course!)
CC: 0
CYA: 80

So there is definitely CYA -relatively high at that. So I'm off to Lowe's to buy more bleach! I know to get the stuff In the back that hasn't gotten a lot of sun. And I was aware of the date thing (Thanks Dirk) everything I bought so far has been in the 200s - so like August or September. I don't think the problem is bad bleach.

Anybody have any input on how much to buy so that this is hopefully my LAST trip? 15? 20?

Thanks in advance.

Pool store CYA tests are usually inaccurate. You need a proper test kit this time, not next time. You could have a lot more CYA than you think. If so, your are going to have trouble getting through this.

It would be hard to tell you how much you'll need to buy. It all depends on the percentage of liquid chlorine you get and it also depends on your CYA results. I don't trust pool store results at all, so I'll recommend you immediately get the proper test kit. We recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net or the Taylor K-2006C.

Oh! could you add your signature to your profile. See mine as an example. :)

Okay so just had water retested. At pool store because my kit can't test CYA. I know now to buy a better kit next time. ;)

FC : 0 (of course!)
CC: 0
CYA: 80

So there is definitely CYA -relatively high at that. So I'm off to Lowe's to buy more bleach! I know to get the stuff In the back that hasn't gotten a lot of sun. And I was aware of the date thing (Thanks Dirk) everything I bought so far has been in the 200s - so like August or September. I don't think the problem is bad bleach.

Anybody have any input on how much to buy so that this is hopefully my LAST trip? 15? 20?

Thanks in advance.

One other question Jessica, how sure are you of your pool volume? I believe you said 10,000 gallons? Could you be underestimating that by chance and under dosing the chlorine?

It helps us a lot if you can put your pool details in your signature.

Also Jessica, as I noted above, you might benefit from a healthy water exchange - about half or so. This would lower your high CYA and any elevated CH as a bonus. With a lower CYA (which needs to be confirmed by a proper test kit), you can then more easily balance the FC to the proper SLAM level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Basically that means less bleach overall. Make sure the bleach is "regular" with absolutely no scents, polymers, or splashless. If you do exchange water, do that before trying to start the SLAM so you don't waste chemicals and $$. Once you have the CYA confirmed, maintain the FC level as best as you can all day & everyday until you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I haven't posted back... I've been babysitting the pool.:rolleyes: But I have been reading your suggestions.

Pool store CYA tests are usually inaccurate. You need a proper test kit this time, not next time. You could have a lot more CYA than you think. If so, your are going to have trouble getting through this.
I recognize and appreciate the concern here, but sometimes you gotta work with what you got you know. And considering the cost of this pool is outweighing my grocery budget right now - throwing another $60 at the thing just in case.... eh.

as I noted above, you might benefit from a healthy water exchange - about half or so. This would lower your high CYA
So what I did was backwash the pool until the water was to the bottom of the skimmer. Then filled with fresh water (city water) probably 4 inches or so. Not near half but maybe 20% - 25% possibly. Not entirely sure how to drain lower. Was afraid of air getting in if I let water go below skimmer. I also upped my calculations on Pool Math to a CYA of 90 just in case it was tested a bit low.

For #4, is there anywhere a chunk of algae could be hiding, and have you looked? Behind a light? In a ladder? Are there removable steps? In the skimmer? Check the weir door. Etc. Any place that could be harboring algae. Think like a microscopic plant!!
No lights, no ladder or removable steps. I did clean the skimmer really well, and all around the steps where the vinyl liner meets the plastic (?). Only other thing I could think of is like under the floor drain cover or the returns, but I'm not sure how to get those off or feel confident about starting to dismantle this pool. Besides if it's there shouldn't the massive amounts of chlorine kill it already?

So I kept adding chlorine and testing gradually getting the chlorine up all afternoon yesterday. Went through another 10 gallons of 10% chlorine. By last night it was holding above 25 for up to an hour. Stopped testing around 10pm, and went to bed. This morning (7:30am) I wake up to 0 FC again. CC:1. But there was a lot of crud on the bottom of the pool. It was really windy yesterday so maybe just crud blown in, but I also feel like maybe dead algae? Which points to some kind of algae that I just can't really see. It seems like I read on here somewhere at some point about "invisible algae" that turns brown when dead. So I brushed the sides of the pool really well, and vacuumed up all the crud. Put in the recommended amount of chlorine from pool math to get to 35, and couldn't mess with it the rest of the morning because of previous commitments.
At 4:30pm - 0FC, 1CC - started adding and testing again. Took only 2 hours and 5 gallons today to get it up to 35. So as it stands now:

I last added 1.5 gallons of 10% bleach at 8:45pm. (Goal FC 35)
9:45pm
FC: 30
CC: <.5
10:45pm
FC: 25.5
CC: 1
I feel like I'm making some progress. Maybe - right? I have to be because I'm nearing 40 gallons of bleach. Definitely been getting the plain bleach. Actually mostly a pool product from Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kem-Tek-1-Gallon-Liquid-Pool-Chlorine/4570020 that is 10% concentrate. All dated in the last 6 weeks. Price seemed good since regular 6% bleach seems to run about 2.99-3.49 here.

Tomorrow is mostly free so - praying if I can stay on top of it that I can kill whatever it is for good.
maintain the FC level as best as you can all day & everyday until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Hope that helps.
I'm doing my best, but seriously a full-time job should pay me - not the other way around. LOL.

Other answers....
One other question Jessica, how sure are you of your pool volume? I believe you said 10,000 gallons? Could you be underestimating that by chance and under dosing the chlorine?
It's possible I suppose. There are no markings anywhere on the pool. I estimated the length and width by pacing it, and the depth by where it comes on me in the shallow end, and approximately how far over DH head the deep end is. Maybe I should break out the tape measure - that'll be a two person job so will have to wait until Saturday probably.

You just moved in to this house, right? Did the previous owners leave any pool chemicals around for you?
Are we sure this *is* a chlorine pool and not a bromide pool?
No usable chemicals except for some DE, but **** tons of empty tubs and cans, etc. Thanks guys! Anyway there were a lot of empty tubs of chlorine tabs. How else could I tell?

Appreciate everyone's help.

I had chlorine this morning!!!!!:kim:

7:15 am FC: 14.5, CC:1. So down from the last test last night (25.5) but still there is chlorine. I've only had to add chlorine 3x today to keep it in the 30-35 range. It's starting to hold for several hours at a time.

A light at the end of the tunnel perhaps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.