Help me explain my reasoning for IC60 vs IC 40 in 20,000 gallon pool...

May 26, 2007
Benton, La
I am needing to convince my wife that we need to upgrade the SWG on our quotes from the IC40 to the IC60 system. She is aware of the price difference as well as the higher price of the replacement cell. Also, the PB argued against it saying "you know the 60 doesn't put out more salt than the 40"

Help me with this argument please to convince my wife we need the larger unit...

So a SWG rated at 20K could need to run 24 hours at 100% to provide enough chlorine to maintain a 20K pool
a SWG rated at 40K could need to run 12 hours at 100%
a SWG at 60K could need to run only 8 hours at 100%

now these are estimates but that's what the rating assumes, so we recommend getting a cell that is at least 2X and better 3X the size of your pool. another advantage is if you do run your cell for less hours it will last longer, so the money saved on an IC40 may not really be there when you have to replace your cell more often

Bass,

Well, your Pool Builder is wrong.. Times two!!!

First salt cells put out chlorine not salt.. And second, it does put our more chlorine.. The IC40 puts out 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas in a 24 hour period and the IC60 puts out 2.0 lbs.

The reason that we suggest the IC60 is that you can run your pump for a shorter period of time and get the same amount of chlorine as compared to the IC40. Plus, in theory the cell will last longe.

It is kind of like the gas tank in your car.. It will only hold so many gallons. The bigger the tank the longer you will be able to drive the car.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: LSU
Get the CircuPool RJ-60 it puts out 3.1 lbs/day of chlorine and has a longer warranty (7 years) and is about the same price as the IC-60.

Bass,

If you do not have a Pentair automation system, then I would go with PoolGate's recommendation of using the RJ60..

But if you do have Pentair automation, then the only real choice is the IC60... If you want to be able to control it from your system.

Jim R.

He very well may have said chlorine and not salt...

So, the Pentair automation system will not control the RJ60?

Bass,

NO... It could do something simple like turning it on or off with the pump, but it will not report salt or output, and will not allow you to remotely adjust the output of the cell.

Why buy automation if you can't use it???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bass,

NO... It could do something simple like turning it on or off with the pump, but it will not report salt or output, and will not allow you to remotely adjust the output of the cell.

Why buy automation if you can't use it???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not to hijack but do you know if anything accept Jandy and Zodiac will work with the Jandy automation? I don't mind losing the automation for the SWG if it means getting a much better SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oversize, it will work less long, put out more chlorine per unit time and hopefully last longer (although they all fail eventually). Do think ahead about automation. Each automation system speaks a slightly different language. If you are considering future automation best to by the generator of the brand you will eventually use. IC 60 is Pentair and and with their automation you could monitor and control the level of free chlorine in your pool (by monitoring orp) and even monitor the ph and adjust it with Muriatic acid or co2 automatically using easytouch and intellichem or intelliph. These systems are finicky and complex but nice when they are dialed in right.

Best wishes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.