help me buy a new pump!

Jun 8, 2018
CT
im a pool noob! Ive had this AG pool for 2 going on the third season so far. and Im going on my 3rd pump as well. Currently have a 1.5 hp Hayward but this season it just started getting loud and its overkill plus pricey to run.
I have a 15x30 oval AG pool. I have a hayward canister filter attached.

What im looking for is ...
Efficiency
Quiet
Reliable
Best bang for the buck

I had been looking at Pentair 342001 as i heard its great but its expensive and my rip off state doesnt give any rebates for it either. I then read some complaints about it dieing after 4 months and it only comes with a 60 day warranty and customer service isnt great either. I cant say any of this is true but just what ive read. Im really confused as what to get as my local pool store tells me a 2 speed or variable speed pump does nothing for a AG pool as far as electricity savings.

I'm looking for some solid advice guys. Thanks!

oh and here is some questions someone else asked me if that helps in anyway, thanks again!
.....................................................................................................................

"What kind of pool do you have?
15x30 oval AG pool. moved in 2 years ago and not sure of brand but it looks to be in decent shape

How old is the liner?
last owner claimed to have replaced it in 2013 but who knows. its defiantely not the new darker blue pool liners ive seen recently.

What type and size piping (OD) do you have?
looks to be 2" flex pipe (OD)

What kind of filter do you have? (exact model)
looks just like Hayward CC15093S XStream Full-Flo Element Filter System

Do you want to HEAT your pool, or just WARM it?
In which months?
(Actually HEATING a pool in Connecticut is EXPENSIVE!)
I would love to heat but since i dont know all the numbers behind that and if its worth just heating for certain periods or just weekends.... i really dont know the cost differnces and what can and cannot be done as far as making financial sense."

Ok thanks guys!
a36cfeba12d570477df8eead00aeac2d.jpg
d7250d214d961b70c7df3ff4c9be3bac.jpg

im a pool noob! Ive had this AG pool for 2 going on the third season so far. and Im going on my 3rd pump as well. Currently have a 1.5 hp Hayward but this season it just started getting loud and its overkill plus pricey to run.

Efficiency
Quiet
Reliable
Best bang for the buck

I had been looking at Pentair 342001 as i heard its great but its expensive and my rip off state doesnt give any rebates for it either. I then read some complaints about it dieing after 4 months and it only comes with a 60 day warranty and customer service isnt great either. I cant say any of this is true but just what ive read. Im really confused as what to get as my local pool store tells me a 2 speed or variable speed pump does nothing for a AG pool as far as electricity savings.

oh and here is some questions someone else asked me if that helps in anyway, thanks again!
.....................................................................................................................

15x30 oval AG pool. moved in 2 years ago and not sure of brand but it looks to be in decent shape

How old is the liner?
last owner claimed to have replaced it in 2013 but who knows. its defiantely not the new darker blue pool liners ive seen recently.

In which months?
I would love to heat but since i dont know all the numbers behind that and if its worth just heating for certain periods or just weekends.... i really dont know the cost differnces and what can and cannot be done as far as making financial sense."

Ok thanks guys!
I just purchased a Hayward 1.5 hp dual speed 3 weeks ago. I use low speed 24 / 7 and it is super quiet. Use high speed to vacuum. I believe it is a Power Flo Maxx. Works great and I am happy with it.

I self installed an intelliflo and I am very happy about it:
https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO

Efficiency
Quiet
Reliable
Best bang for the buck

How old is the liner?

In which months?

Ok thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Superflo pump on my 15x30 oval and it has been a great pump.

I also have my pool heated with a heat pump and solar panels. I was swimming April 30th this year. It cost me about 130 dollars to run the heat pump thru the month of May this year and as you know it has been a cold spring this year. My pool has been on average 80-85 degrees since we first went swimming.

If you are going to keep the pool simple and just have a filter and pump a simple 1hp 2-speed pump is all you need for quiet efficient running of your pool.

I have the Superflo pump on my 15x30 oval and it has been a great pump.

I also have my pool heated with a heat pump and solar panels. I was swimming April 30th this year. It cost me about 130 dollars to run the heat pump thru the month of May this year and as you know it has been a cold spring this year. My pool has been on average 80-85 degrees since we first went swimming.

If you are going to keep the pool simple and just have a filter and pump a simple 1hp 2-speed pump is all you need for quiet efficient running of your pool.
What speed are you running your pump for normal use and for how long?
If i buy a 2 speed pump now and decide to get a heater will i regret not getting a VS pump?

2 speed on low will work for a lot of heaters. Will you be sad with a 2speed? Probably not. Will you be happy with the VS pump. Probably yes.

I run my superflo at 1450 for my heat pump / general skimming. The solar panels kick it to 1950.

I run from 10am-6pm for heating. Otherwise it would only be 2-3 hours a day pump run time.

I dare not runmy pump at full speed because it sucks the skimmer dry above 3000 rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.