Help me add an SWG to my pool.

May 16, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Been a lurker here for a while. I should have listened to the good advice provided here. Pool currently needs to be drained, but with a high of 110* today, it's not going to happen for several months. I have come to the realization that the sensible means to chlorinate my pool is with an SWG. Tabs destroy the chemistry and liquid is just not viable due to cost and complexity. With that said, I want to add an SWG this winter so I can get back on track and get the water chemistry where it needs to be and make this more enjoyable to maintain. I'm a pretty handy DIY'er and hope to install an SWG myself. All of my equipment is Pentair with no automation so I think I'd like to stay with Pentair. Which device should I look at and where in my system would I place it ideally?

Attachments

• 6745Pool1.jpg
    6745Pool1.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 6745Pool3.jpg
    6745Pool3.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 36
The SWCG needs to be placed downstream of the filter and before the returns to the pool & spa. There is a pipe with the black valve on it - where does that go as it is not marked? The 3 pipes with blue valves are marked "Main" - what is that to? "Spa" - ok and "Aeration" - is that to a water feature? As a general rule, you may want the SWCG to go before the black valve so it feeds both the spa and the pool returns depending on what mode you are in. Also, you may have to go vertical to get it to fit in that space because of the aeration pipe.

Are you considering automation or just want to install a SWCG with a controller? If you will not use automation, it is not necessary to have to have a Pentair but obviously they make a great SWCG. You could get other SWCG at lower cost if you have no desire to have automation. Having the same mfg. for the SWCG and automation makes things work better is why I ask about the automation plans in the future. If you go with a Pentair then the IC40 would fit your needs as you are probably aware that the SWCG should be 2x your pool volume. You can also look at this link that provides comparison to other models. Many people look at the CircuPool model - so the RJ30 plus or RJ45 plus could be other options (for example).

Reactions: TexEdmond
The SWCG needs to be placed downstream of the filter and before the returns to the pool & spa. There is a pipe with the black valve on it - where does that go as it is not marked? The 3 pipes with blue valves are marked "Main" - what is that to? "Spa" - ok and "Aeration" - is that to a water feature? As a general rule, you may want the SWCG to go before the black valve so it feeds both the spa and the pool returns depending on what mode you are in. Also, you may have to go vertical to get it to fit in that space because of the aeration pipe.

Are you considering automation or just want to install a SWCG with a controller? If you will not use automation, it is not necessary to have to have a Pentair but obviously they make a great SWCG. You could get other SWCG at lower cost if you have no desire to have automation. Having the same mfg. for the SWCG and automation makes things work better is why I ask about the automation plans in the future. If you go with a Pentair then the IC40 would fit your needs as you are probably aware that the SWCG should be 2x your pool volume. You can also look at this link that provides comparison to other models. Many people look at the CircuPool model - so the RJ30 plus or RJ45 plus could be other options (for example).

Thank you for the detailed reply. The pipe with the black valve controls flow for the spa "jets'. The blue valves are main returns (2), Spa return (1) and aerator. I guess to your point, I could put it where the label, AERATION, is and reroute the aerator pretty easily. I like the idea of automation, but all I could really automate is pump runtime and that's being handled by the pumps controller currently. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Adding a SWCG is fairly easy I have done it myself. Connect the SWCG to the same power feed as your pump so that it only runs when the pump runs. Your setup is a little challenging due to how tight it is. I would move the filter over to the right, replumb as needed, and have the SWCG connected 12" or so out of the filter and into your returns.

Thank you for the detailed reply. The pipe with the black valve controls flow for the spa "jets'. The blue valves are main returns (2), Spa return (1) and aerator. I guess to your point, I could put it where the label, AERATION, is and reroute the aerator pretty easily. I like the idea of automation, but all I could really automate is pump runtime and that's being handled by the pumps controller currently. I'm certainly open to suggestions.
I was looking at this again and I see you have space to the right of the filter. Can the filter be moved over? So your pump and return pipes stay as they are and you need to put new pipe from pump to filter and then then extend the return pipe to house the SWCG. then connect to the filter. Ensure you put a union on both sides of the SWCG for easy removal.

Edit - I see @PoolGate had same idea.

I believe it is code to keep 3' of clear space in front of the breaker box. So the filter could be moved to the right, but would need to swing out to along side the pump somehow.

Again, Great Ideas. I want to keep the space right of the pump & filter clear as that area on the pad is reserved for a free standing shed. Compared to what I had before, I really like the compactness of my system, but certainly didn't account for expansion.

Please excuse my lack of skills in paint. Would something like this work? What do I need to keep in mind as far as radius / bends in the PVC?

Edit: Not letting me add the new drawing.

Last edited:
Edit: Not letting me add the new drawing.
The Forum server host is having issues with attachments. Try again later today.

Do remember that you must have some straight line space before the flow switch for a SWCG. you may have to go up and then realign how you attach to your return lines.

try to convert "paint" file to pdf and post that. Or take a picture of the screen with your phone and post that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could put it where the label, AERATION, is and reroute the aerator pretty easily.
You might be able to sneak it in without moving your aerator line by rotating the filter unions 45 degrees clockwise toward the pump. The canister outflow could then accommodate a set of elbows that allowed for the preferred "upward flow" recommended by Pentair, then it'd be easy to make it back down to the aerator tee fitting.

I did the IC60 install myself a few weeks ago, it went smoothly. IC40 is your choice if you want to stay with Pentair.

PoolMath shares some math from this spreadsheet that really helped me understand better and plan runtimes and percentages.

I have an automation panel and the wiring is a bit different for my pump (same as yours) because the pump stays powered up 24/7 regardless if the impeller is running. Maybe there's a way to wire the SCG power supply into the pump itself if you don't have the mains power on a timer or breaker?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.