Help! I've spent over 900$ in three weeks and still can't swim!

Time to start your SLAM: First, lower the PH to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Second, add Liquid Chlorine to get to your SLAM value - per the FC/CYA Chart

Test the FC as often as possible and keep upping the chlorine back to the SLAM level of CYA 40 whenever it drops below that. The more times a day you can test and keep the FC at the SLAM level the better and faster it will clear up - the experts on here can help with any questions or issues that come up.

Reactions: amraney and tim5055
The harder you hit it early on seems to have an effect on how qickly the SLAM goes. Check FC and adjust back to SLAM level every two hours for the first few days goes a lot quicker than the minimum 3 times a day.

The two biggest issues folks have with a SLAM

- They didn't buy enough liquid chlorine

- They didn't buy enough FAS/DPD reagents

Reactions: vsat88 and amraney
Okay...I got my tester and speedstir in today!! Wow!!! It came really fast, I'm so excited!! So just tested and here is what I have using fas/dbd and speedstir:
FC=4.5
CC=0.5
TC=4
PH=7.6
ALK=100
CH=140
CYA=40
So what do I need to do first???
Thanks in advance for y'alls help and all the help already given.
Lower pH to 7.2
Give things 15 minutes to disperse
Raise free chlorine to 16
Brush, vacuum, go make dinner, do whatever for a couple hours.
Retest just FC and raise it back up to 16.

It's all in the SLAM Process article

The harder you hit it early on seems to have an effect on how qickly the SLAM goes. Check FC and adjust back to SLAM level every two hours for the first few days goes a lot quicker than the minimum 3 times a day.

The two biggest issues folks have with a SLAM

- They didn't buy enough liquid chlorine

- They didn't buy enough FAS/DPD reagents
Went and bought like 12 gallons of bleach on my first run...lol. But yes I can see where I will already be getting some more of the powder stuff ordered.

Lower pH to 7.2
Give things 15 minutes to disperse
Raise free chlorine to 16
Brush, vacuum, go make dinner, do whatever for a couple hours.
Retest just FC and raise it back up to 16.

It's all in the SLAM Process article
I lowered ph, went to Wal-Mart to buy more bleach... yay!!, came home and added bleach, then brushed but didn't vacuum. A whole bunch of black junk/leaves came up from around my ladder so worked hard brushing and getting water moving in that area. I retested just before bed and it was right at 16. I'll check it again in morning and on my lunch break and then when I get off work but I think I will vacuum it tomorrow but I would just vacuum on filter, right? Not to lose any of my FC. I have a automatic vacuum. Is it better to do it manually or is it ok to use the automatic?

Went and bought like 12 gallons of bleach on my first run...lol. But yes I can see where I will already be getting some more of the powder stuff ordered.
Won't be able to do the every two hours as I work full time. So just am, noon and then all evening i can check it. Sure wish I could, I'm ready to get this thing cleaned up as soon as I can.

Reactions: Wayhazard
Hello,
Going on my 1st full year of owning a home with a above ground pool. I was clueless on pool ownership and when we got the house the pool turned dark green from neglect, I reached out to local pool service guy and wanted to charge me weekly $50, No thanks!! I depended on my long time buddy that owns his own pool cleaning service. He came once and was busy with paying clients...and, well I decided to do some research as my kids were dying to jump into a clean clear pool, it was August and I found this site read up on everything got everything I needed to begin the slam. I came on here just like you to ask questions and for reassurance, and well I am a true believer to the TFP ways. My wife still thinks we should be adding other things from the pool store I tell her we don't need any chemicals there, Why she ask, Because my forum says so, I tell her. I'm on day 3 of my slam I let my FC drop when my pump went out a month ago and I had already opened my pool for the spring pool turned dark green again, so this is my 3rd slam. I expect it to be a faster process this time as now my 15yr son is home during summer and we are able to test it more often without hours of letting it drift way below slam levels. I had a slam last 20+ days of lack luster testing minimum to none brushing and vacuuming so i learned so much a long the way. Welcome home to the TFP ways.

Reactions: DoubleEcho

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I lowered ph, went to Wal-Mart to buy more bleach... yay!!, came home and added bleach, then brushed but didn't vacuum. A whole bunch of black junk/leaves came up from around my ladder so worked hard brushing and getting water moving in that area. I retested just before bed and it was right at 16. I'll check it again in morning and on my lunch break and then when I get off work but I think I will vacuum it tomorrow but I would just vacuum on filter, right? Not to lose any of my FC. I have a automatic vacuum. Is it better to do it manually or is it ok to use the automatic?
Unless there are mountains of soggy compost lurking in the depths just waiting to clog the filter, yes, vacuum to filter.

That's a good idea to have my teenagers test it while I'm at work....i didn't think about that. Pool school tonight for them!!! Lol. I want to clean it up asap so I'm willing to do all I need to. I'm so glad I found this site.I have got more help in the last few days, and I'm already less frustrated, then this whole time with the pool store/ pool guy. Thanks!

No I don't think it's to bad. It was more little blackish pieces of leaves and the water just turned really dark green. Guess before I just wasn't getting around there very good. I normally pull the ladder up but didn't last summer because it's so big. It's the one spot in my pool I think that causes the most problems for the whole pool...its so hard to clean under it. Any suggestions to make it easier?

No I don't think it's to bad. It was more little blackish pieces of leaves and the water just turned really dark green. Guess before I just wasn't getting around there very good. I normally pull the ladder up but didn't last summer because it's so big. It's the one spot in my pool I think that causes the most problems for the whole pool...its so hard to clean under it. Any suggestions to make it easier?
You probably want to pull that ladder and really give it a going-over.
Here's why:
Water problems

Going forward, when the pool is clear and sparkly, you can build a simple cleaner with a piece of PVC pipe and a garden hose fitting. Then you pressure wash around the ladder when you're topping off lost water.

Reactions: amraney
You probably want to pull that ladder and really give it a going-over.
Here's why:
Water problems

Going forward, when the pool is clear and sparkly, you can build a simple cleaner with a piece of PVC pipe and a garden hose fitting. Then you pressure wash around the ladder when you're topping off lost water.
I'll pull that ladder this evening. Whatever will help get this thing clean and clear.
I'm fixing to order some more DPD powder...do I need to get the xl option that has the R-0871? And is there anything else I'll need for this that they have on tftestkits.net?

I'll pull that ladder this evening. Whatever will help get this thing clean and clear.
I'm fixing to order some more DPD powder...do I need to get the xl option that has the R-0871? And is there anything else I'll need for this that they have on tftestkits.net?
You can order any refills you may need, or standard solutions. For a SLAM, you just go through a whole bunch of the FAS-DPD test stuff. Better check your R-0013 CYA test stuff, too. Make sure you have enough for 4 tests or so, to get you through Summer.

You can order any refills you may need, or standard solutions. For a SLAM, you just go through a whole bunch of the FAS-DPD test stuff. Better check your R-0013 CYA test stuff, too. Make sure you have enough for 4 tests or so, to get you through Summer.
Yes, thanks. I only have one small bottle left for the CYA.
I just checked my FC and it's still right at 16. This morning I had to add a half a gallon of bleach. So that's not to bad. Or it's staying in there pretty good.

I got the ladder out of pool and it was so nasty. The holes that are on the steps where water can go in to help weigh it down, black/green smelly stuff was just pour out of it. And there was a ton of leaves and pine needles that I've scooped out. But anyways after that I backwashed and rinsed the filter and now my gauge won't go down, it's still hanging around 10. I let the little window clear and I did it twice. At the strongest return it's like it's pulsing the water out too. Any idea what's going on? As I said before I had used floc at first to clear it up, could that stuff still be in the pool or does it lose it's flocing ability after awhile??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.