Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Fiddler crabs... what did you think I meant!? This isn't WebMD... :ROFLMAO: Okay, now I've got your attention!

We recently converted to salt water. Just turned on the SWCG yesterday after really dialing in the chemistry. Apparently, now all the fiddler crabs love the pool. We currently have 21 in the pool. Normally, we might get 1 or 2 hopping in per week, remove them, no problem. I removed several a bit ago and they just scurried back into the pool. I guess of relevance is we had tropical storm Elsa roll through Wed/Thu, dumping 4" of rain.

Plan is to later scoop them out with my minnow net when we all go for a swim later today, once the sun is lower on the horizon and relocate them to the marsh.

Any ideas on how to prevent the crabs (or most of them) from coming into the pool? Is it common for fiddler crabs to like saltwater pools?

20210710_132132.jpg 20210710_132115.jpg

Reactions: mguzzy
@Leebo do you know who moved this thread? This is pool-related... and an ongoing problem (I have 7 more fiddler crabs today). Please move it back or to an appropriate pool-related thread.

MOD note-this has been moved to a more pool related area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have a way out? They may not like the water with chlorine but are unable to leave it. Otherwise, maybe just leave them. They should help keep the pool clean. :ROFLMAO:

@avspin - they do not really have a way out. I'm unsure if they want out. First one I got out ran right back in :LOL: So I put them in a 5 gallon bucket then dumped them in the ditch along the road. I may just be stuck with these mud bugs in the pool anytime I go in & needing to remove them. I suppose I do not need to purchase fiddlers for fishing anymore... :rolleyes:

Your very own built in bait tank.
Seriously though it might be the time of the year. They may just stop showing up. I have no idea.
Good luck.

Reactions: Dr_Data
Not that it’s an incredible feat to stump me….. but you’ve stumped me nonetheless. :)

I’m thankful for you that it’s *some* fiddler crabs and not the en masse 10k of them that look like the beach is moving.

Might try a towel over a ball at the steps. Curious if they crawl out themselves onto the towel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with @zea3 ... your pool is the closest source of water. It's not like your pool is showing up as the new go-to destination on the Crab-chat forum and they all want your pool. If there were a lot of crabs that got displaced due to the storm.. they are just trying to migrate back to a water source.. and your pool is along the way. How close are you to another source of water that they would prefer?

funny-beach-sign-wooden-wall-sign-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.