Help installing Calimar 3 HP Pump

ik91

May 10, 2023
Cary, NC
Hello, I am replacing a Jandy 1.5 fhpm1.5 pump with Calimar 3 HP pump. The Jandy pump has male threads with specific union for the pump. The calimar pump has female threads and I put 2" male joiner into the female threads but the Jandy union won't screw on because its still to big which doesn't make sense cause the PVC pipe is 2'. Any one have suggestions for a solution in which I could use the old jandy unions aside from me cutting the PVC off? The first pic is of the new Calimar Pump and second is old Jandy pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 33
Hello, I am replacing a Jandy 1.5 fhpm1.5 pump with Calimar 3 HP pump. The Jandy pump has male threads with specific union for the pump. The calimar pump has female threads and I put 2" male joiner into the female threads but the Jandy union won't screw on because its still to big which doesn't make sense cause the PVC pipe is 2'. Any one have suggestions for a solution in which I could use the old jandy unions aside from me cutting the PVC off? The first pic is of the new Calimar Pump and second is old Jandy pump.
All pump use proprietary unions, one brand won't fit another. Best to get 2" high temp pump unions.
411G-EiVq+L._AC_.jpg

Rule of thumb, never glue a part until sure it will fit.

Reactions: ik91
Not sure why you would shy away from a product that is superior in every way to a standard (and cheap) PVC male adapter. I have used a few hundred on pumps that don't come with unions and have never seen one fail.

I think I may have found the end that goes on the jandy union. Any thoughts on this ?

I installed the pool pump today and have a slow leak which lead to a drop every 5 seconds at this junction and wanted to know if that is a concern and if I need to redo the plumbing for that whole area? You can see the drop as well in the photo. Would applying pvc glue on outside help?

Attachments

• View recent photos.png
    View recent photos.png
    483.2 KB · Views: 22
I installed the pool pump today and have a slow leak which lead to a drop every 5 seconds at this junction and wanted to know if that is a concern and if I need to redo the plumbing for that whole area? You can see the drop as well in the photo. Would applying pvc glue on outside help?
Is that suction or pressure? Glue might help on suction but won't on pressure.

Let me tell you a story (two stories).
I have repaired small leaks from PVC glue imperfections twice in the last year. When I bought this house, the old pool had Ortega valves on the suction and return piping near the pool in the ground for pool/spa mode. The return piping had a small leak like that, where a drop of water would appear at the seam every few seconds. This leak was at the point connecting the return Ortega valve to the spa return pipe. I turned off everything and dried it up and applied about five layers of heavy pvc glue, waiting about 20 minutes between each application.

A few months later, I bought a new heater and plumbed it in. After starting up the pump, I noticed there was a tiny leak where the return pipe connects to the Heater’s inlet quick connect coupling before it screws into the heater manifold. I did the same thing. Applied a few layers of heavy pvc glue to the seam and waited for it to dry for a day before staring up the pump again.

Both is these have not leaked since. I don't think they will last forever and I’d advice replumbing if possible but I couldn’t do that for the Ortega valves in the concrete without demolishing my deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, that is the pressure part of the system. DavidArmenB says he has been successful using multiple layers of PVC cement. No problem. Might work for you, too.
Great, I will try multiple layers as well and give it a go and if not just redo it.

Also, when I run the pump at the lower speeds the pressure guage on filter is much lower and wondering if that is normal? With my previous single speed pump it was between 10-15 PSI and I would backwash at 20. Now at 1000 to 2000 RPM it is between 0-5 PSI on the filter guage.

Great, I will try multiple layers as well and give it a go and if not just redo it.

Also, when I run the pump at the lower speeds the pressure guage on filter is much lower and wondering if that is normal? With my previous single speed pump it was between 10-15 PSI and I would backwash at 20. Now at 1000 to 2000 RPM it is between 0-5 PSI on the filter guage.
Completely normal.

With my previous single speed pump it was between 10-15 PSI and I would backwash at 20. Now at 1000 to 2000 RPM it is between 0-5 PSI on the filter guage
Run this new pump at full speed with a clean filter. This will give you your desired base line PSI number to work from.
Just have to remember to recheck psi at high speed going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.