Help I'm lost.

Jun 22, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Link to photo and small video that shows pool from last year. Shared album - Tuan Huynh - Google Photos

I am very lost. If I'm all over the place it because there is a lot and it seems overwhelming. I bought a house last year from an estate sale. I took cover off late summer, had someone open it - remove cover and shock it, start pump, filter. But no cleaning, I tried but it was still dirty. Neighbors said it hasn't been open in 4+ years. Filter and pump are both in my basement. Filter seems to run high 30psi. I tried backwashing, sending to waste, but can't get the water clean. Had the sand replaced, but ended up with sand in thrown out of the jet and piled in the pool. Closed it soon after.

Details. Pool is hybrid - fiberglass walls, and cement bottom. Pool size 18ft x 38ft. shallow end is 42 inches and deep is 8ft??? (never been in pool)

Looks rough but holds water, For the month I had it uncovered it didn't really lose water. This year I was going to leave it covered but I think I will try to tackle it again. But I am lost.

immediate concerns:
1. can i drain the pool and power wash it? will draining it damage the pool? how long can I leave it empty? Currently the jets are plugged (does this matter?)
2. the estate lost the 'eyeballs' return jets --- what are my options?
3. I want to replace the filter, and I would like to replace the pump too. suggestions? should I relocate it outside by pool or leave all plumbing in basement?
4. should I look into saltwater or traditional chlorine?

future concerns:
1. when refurbing pool I want to do both pool and cement around pool. is there an order to perform this? pool first, then cement, vice versa or doesn't matter?
2. expoxy paint? or I've seen ecofinish?

Ideally, I think I would like to drain and powerwash, replace filter and pump and get it running, and use it for a season or two and go from there.

I can take more photos or go measure anything I left out.

Also I have called a few pool stores around here and they are not helpful, I can't even get them to come take a look. I've called a pool leak detection company that helped me open and closed the pool, but after sending sand into the pool i'm not too pleased.

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you.

Good idea!

Pool - Google Photos

Link with added photos of filter and pump in basement. I tried to show lines running out of basement and also where it comes out from basement, and in relation to heater and pool. Pics are new thats the way it is sitting now. Excuse the dead leaves, I'm waiting for them to dry before I bag them.

Note the fence behind the heater, on the other side of that fence is a potential site for relocated equipment, if it is better to move them.

With your situation, better take a bunch of pictures of your equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.