Help identify this around pvc pipe please

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

Any idea what the white is around the joint of the pipe in this pic as it is slow leaking through it. Not sure if its like a white joint compound some type of thin white tape etc I want to fix that area but not sure what to put around it. At the bottom of the pvc to the pump.

Attachments

• 20180616_145604.jpg
    20180616_145604.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 70
BT,

Not sure what it is, but pumps should be installed with pump unions.. they have an O-Ring on the threaded end that prevents that exact problem you are having..

Here is a link showing a pump union.. I'm just using the link for the pic, not the specific part or price...

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp-Union-Whisperflo-Intelliflo/dp/B00AKMV4K8/ref=asc_df_B00AKMV4K8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198092864586&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10661766972010232538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027224&hvtargid=pla-349906384064&psc=1

Thanks,

Jim R.

Teflon tape or thread sealant was used to seal connector. Pump unions would solve this small issue. Threaded schedule 80 nipple would also allow a better leak free seal.
1. Best- use pump unions as stated in previous post.
2. Threaded schedule 80 pipe.

That’s a brush on Teflon thread paste, I can tell by the shrink crack when I zoom in on image.
That MA is seated all the way. That particular pump & brand of MA - can drop 2 more threads.
( I recognize MA by it’s flats, which by wrench marks the installer didn’t use)

Wow, zooming in is wild. Maybe I’ll count the grains of pollen on the strainer pot cover..

Unions are not mandatory per any manufacturer, they are just elective luxuries.

Pools require a better understanding of pumps, and piping than what most "regular plumbers" do on a regular basis. What you have leaking on your pump is something a "regular plumber" would do. It's like getting and electrician to do your pool, you want one with pool specific experience because the rules around pools are different than "regular" residential work.

Plumbers and electricians all sit for the same license depending on their field of work, its their on the job work experience, and training, that sets them apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.