Help- I SUPER Chlorinated

Jun 24, 2017
Texas
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I opened the pool to a green algae mess because of a broken pump. Got everything fixed, and tested my chemicals. I had 0 CYA and 0 Chlorine. I have never had 0 CYA in past years, nor had I drained the pool so I figured I had ammonia build up. Before I added stabilizer, I was going to add chlorine until I could maintain a 1 or 2. I put a gallon liquid chlorine in 2 nights ago, and my chlorine reading was 0 the next day. Last night I put another gallon of liquid chlorine in, and today my reading was still 0. It was then I decided to get a clear bowl (5 quart) and put one drop of chlorine tester in. One drop turned the water yellow. I HAVE SUPER SUPER chlorinated. I wouldn't mind so much because the sun had been out and 110 degrees the past week, and it would have a chance to burn off fast with no CYA. However, it's cloudy and 80 this coming week. Question... Have a truly made a mega mess or is there a chemical that will burn the chlorine fast, or what do I do? Will this cause problems with my equipment, etc? Thanks in advance![/FONT]

Welcome to tfp!

What test kit are you using to test your water? If you have only added two gallons of chlorine to your pool then it is highly unlikely you have super super chlorinated anything.

Going forward you need to follow the slam process. And to do that correctly you have to have a fas-dpd chlorine test.

Since your cya drop to 0 it is a good idea to do what you were trying to do by adding chlorine until it held. I would suggest using pool math and adding 10 PPM of FC to your pool and then retesting the FC and CC after 10 to 15 minutes. Although to do that you need the fas-dpd chlorine test.

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.