Help: I started Opening but couldn't keep up

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
So I started opening, early and without too many problems. I opened to my usual green pool and because I didn't open last year (I was out of time), it was way worse than usual.
So I did my usual SLAM, was getting to where I could see the bottom of the deep end, however it was still pretty cloudy and I was filtering as much as I could...

Fast forward to now and I have completely ran out of time to keep up with it. I haven't been getting home until 5-6 most nights and by then any FC level that I got to the day before has gone back down to 0. Much less have time to vacuum and filter and scrub, make dinner, take care of the kids, all that good stuff...

So I have been calling around to different pool companies / pool handymen to see how much they would charge. Needless to say it is not cheap and everyone of them use some form of algaecide. The usual process they explain is to put in the super chemical bottle, it kills everything, they come back and vacuum it out. Most of them claim a 3 visit schedule throughout the week and that it will be clean.

Some of these are major pool companies that have tons of customers. I fully understand the methods taught here, I know very well that they work and on a normal basis I use them myself. Have opened and closed my pools 3 times now with no problems. Right now though, I just don't have the time.

What I am asking is for an unorthodox method of opening my pool. I'm on the verge of trying an algaecide, some flocculant , and who knows what other "magic" chemicals. Could I get some advice? Can you tell me which ones to use. Can you give me a reason not to do this? Thanks in advance!!

Just a few questions, can you post a current set of water chemistry results? When exactly did you start slam? Is there any debris at the bottom of the pool?

I’ll admit during my slam the vacuuming was a few times a week and the brushing was once a day in the mornings before work on account that I was working 16 hour shifts.

Algecided is more a preventative measure and most contain copper. Floc has a tendency to not always work then you’re stuck not being able to run you’re filter or it could clog it. The other “magic” potions, it’s anybody’s guess what could be in them.

Is your pool still green or just cloudy? A lot of folks, myself included, report the cloudy stage can take a few weeks to get to clear. These fine folks around here will get you fixed up, but your own test kit and results are key!

Also, checking FC and adding 3 times a day is reasonable. Once before work, when you get home at 6 and again before bed.

It is your pool, your money. The question is, will you be willing to swim in the pool once they are done doing their 'magic'.

I wouldn't -- but that decision is up to you.

Reactions: bo_mull
Awtrizzle:

As Marty mentioned, is is your $$$. But, I can tell you from experience that if you do not close your pool properly, you will not open your pool properly (That simple!). However, one can easily maintain a swimming pool (even adding liquid chlorine every 3 days) if need be. I have friends in your situation (with the TF-100), but they are not part of the forum. They add liquid chlorine almost every other day, if not every 3rd day, without any issues. Yes, one will consume more chlorine and have higher levels, but a pool owner has to find what works for them.

Your whole system is set up "CORRECTLY" and there should be no reason to start adding chemicals and junk to your pool wasting countless dollars. You definitely do not have a circulation issue and have a nice system and design. Once you get your pool back on track, set up a schedule that will work for you, or maybe even consider converting over to an SWG system.

And the reason not to do this is that most pool companies have no idea on what they are doing. Recently someone came to me with a problem. His print out from the pool store (Bio-Guard) where they allowed levels of 200 ppm and he was using 3" tablets. His PH and TA are so low it is scary. They had him adding both PH + and Alkalinity Up (we know that they really are), where in the end, his PH would be too high. The ironic part of this is that the pool store sold him liquid shock (Why?). If you can go to 200, why switch to liquid (no CYA added). Bottom line is that pool store employee's are not educated and trained properly.

If you do not own the TF-100 kit, now is the time to consider. With a proper test kit, you can easily manage your pool. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.