Help, I have white swirls in my pool, after algaecide and floc.

HsMom2two

Jul 16, 2022
Jasper, AL
My chemistry reading are.
Ph 7.2
Free chlorine 5
Residual 3.0
All 80 ppm

First time pool owner, 20 foot round, 48 in pool. Heads up our phosphates were 2400+, and I used phosphate remover, twice. The whole 32 oz bottle over 2 days.
We have added stabilizer, and finally have this much chlorine, it has been nonexistent for 3 weeks, hence the algae. I used Algaecide, and now have white swirls in middle of my pool, and around the edges. July 6 we got in and felt slime on the walls and floor, we scrubbed walls and floor then used algaecide. I didn’t realize our pump wasn’t working correctly, and woke up next morning to white swirls, which I assume is dead algae. It looks smoky, cloudy and can’t be grabbed, it just floats away.
We used flocculant yesterday, and it still floats so easily we can’t vacuum to waste. The whole pool gets cloudy, no matter how gently, and slowly I vacuum.

I am getting disheartened, we’ve only swam twice. I have ordered a sand filter and it will be in in a few days. We’re unfortunately still using small filter that came with the pool.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 70A5374E-F772-4DE6-8AF7-0ADE6E4AA337.png
    70A5374E-F772-4DE6-8AF7-0ADE6E4AA337.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • C0F5C063-D652-49EE-92A5-28F7D3F8D569.png
    C0F5C063-D652-49EE-92A5-28F7D3F8D569.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: To be honest, thus far you have wasted a good amount of time and money. It's frustrating for sure and that's how many people end up here at TFP. So what do you do now:
1. Stop. Don't add anything else to the water except 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine per day - for now.
2. Order a proper test kit. Either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. This forum bases all of our advice on accurate at-home testing.
3. Bookmark and start reading our Pool Care Basics page. It It has just about everything you need to know in one place.
4. For algae, we follow the SLAM Process. You can read that page as well.
5. You should also download the PoolMath APP to start learning how it works.

Depending on how much product you've added already, a partial water exchange may be needed, especially of the algaecides had copper in them or if the floc is still in the water since I'm assuming you couldn't vacuum to waste.

We can help you through all of this, but it does start with the right testing. If you have any questions let us know.

Reactions: HsMom2two
Hi Mom.... Pat has you covered if you do as he suggests.
Your chlorine level was low which allowed algae to move in. Chlorine is something that has to be kept at a constant level from day to day and not allowed to drop down into the weeds. How much chlorine is needed is based on how much stabilizer (CYA) is in the water???

FLOC is a PITA to remove from pools and should not be allowed to go into the filter. Best to vacuum it out to waste and refill the pool if necessary.

If you bought the weak Phosphate stuff that Leslie's sells ....well... its a waste of money. IF you were going to worry about phosphates (and we rarely do) we would recommend a better product. Leslie's sells it using scare tactics, IMO.
Assuming you have enough chlorine you won't have algae. If you don't have algae who cares what algae eats? This ain't no buffet!

You've got a pool which I reckon is about 8,000 gallons. I would suggest you get a real test kit, not a toy one.... I like the TF-Pro, which has about everything you could need for testing. For what it costs it will save you everything it costs plus hundreds more. I promise.

Questions? Fire away-

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.