Help! I can not clear up pool water

Wow Hudson! I was just there a Valley Pools and Spa to get my water test. I see CC is Combined Chlorine. The only chlorine I see tested is Tot. Chlorine (10) and Free Chlorine (10).

The water is clear till you get near the bottom. Then it becomes cloudy. I am told I need to keep filtering and cleaning the filters till I can clear the water up.

Should I try to bring the PH down now or wait till the chlorine is in check? And the stabilizer they sold me I guessing I should wait on that? It says it prevents chlorine loss. That is not really what I want right now, right?

I am new at maintaining a pool. I am starting to get the vibe that a pool supply store may not be the way to go. Using Bleach, Muriatic acid, Borax, Cyanuric acid, and Baking soda is what to use.

FYI.
I was going on vacation and I noticed my water was beginning to look cloudy. I bought some super water clarifier from walmart and used it. When I got back 5 days later my pool was green. My floating chlorine dispenser was empty (I didn't check it before I left). I shocked it and added Algaecide to the pool.

Now the pool was lime green, so I shocked it again. Water was them cloudy so I added more super clarifier. Next day no change. So I added A LOT of shock because that apparently is how I roll.

However I was told about this forum from a friend. Ordered a test kit I need to learn and use. And realized I do not know the half of pool care (yet).

So that is where I am today. Super chlorinated water, and cleaning the stuff I should have cleaned out instead of freaking out about it.

Pool stores have there place but it shouldn't be for pushing chemicals. What I hate is having stuff lined up on the counter while the guy/gal is still telling me the results.

Can you add your pools info to your signature: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Just checked my "BioGard Analysis" and you are correct, no CC.

Do you have a test kit of your own yet ?? If you are running to "me" to get it tested it's a no brainer to order one of your own. Gas money alone will pay for it. http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
It's a chunk of change but get the kit and try to bring yourself to get the stirrer too. In a couple months you won't believe you got away without them.
Opps, you posted while I was trying to peck this out. Which kit do you have ??

Yup, time to do the pH.

From here on out, NO algaecide, no clarifier, no flock, no chlorinating tablets, no bags of shock !! (no snake oil ;))

If you have algae you need to SLAM once and kill it all buy following the procedure to completion and then it's just a matter of maintenance with liquid bleach. Best I've found is a four gallon case at FleetFarm 9.99 and it's 12% strength.
If you need DE it's also the place to get that, Aquachem.

Make that party :party:

You should be able to do your own CC test.
Are you running to Valley because you are still a little unsure of your "skills" in testing ??

The videos might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs
There is a set of different videos for the TF-100 kit but the K-2006 testing should be the same. There is always instructions.:)

I was told to add 1 gallon of bleach per day until I got my test kit. Wonder if you should do the same.

That might be Ok advise IF you had your pool information. One gallon might be just right for your pool but way too little for his (bigger) or so much it could damage it (smaller).
In your case I'd suggest the same. Take a sample to the pool store to get an idea of where you are at. One gallon might not be enough to do anything and it's being eaten rapidly or it may be too much if it's not being eaten and the FC is climbing each time you toss another gallon in. Way more chance of it being too little but why not use a pool store instead of letting it use you :confused:

Please add your pool information as outlined here - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Brian has a good test kit on order, a K-2006 just need to get it in his hands hopefully Thursday and get him up to speed on how to use it !!
Brian, Does Splash Zone test water too ?? N8170 State Road 65, River Falls, WI 54022 (715) 426-0559

Sorry guys, I got real busy at work. I expect my kit tomorrow. I have been watching the pool as I did the last 2 years with my test block. PH is good and chlorine is still high. I am eager to try the new kit. I will post as soon as I get it and read up on it. This week end I am sure I will be looking for help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 what he said.

From pool school:
Cyanuric acid, often called stabilizer or conditioner, both protects FC from sunlight and lowers the effective strength of the FC (by holding some of the FC in reserve). The higher your CYA level, the more FC you need to use to get the same effect. It is important to know your CYA level so you can figure out what FC level to aim for. If you don't have a SWG or problems from extremely high amounts of sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 30 and 50. If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80.

You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some. Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock in the skimmer basket. The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a week.

Hey guys. Thanks for the heads up on the test. That may have frustrated me as well. I think I would be looking at 30 to 50 for CYA. I have a cartridge filter and I get direct sun from about noon till night (with a solar cover).
I have a cheap Intex pool. It came with a skimmer basket attachment that hangs on the side of the pool. I have never really used it. Just the regular filter set up. I added the stabilizer by sprinkling it around the pool as I walked it. Should I be using my skimmer more, or all the time?

Well, I am trying to grasp the chlorine test from my new TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT. FC .24 cc .04. My cheap test block was indicating low .3. If I am getting this right the block would be total chlorine. and the Taylor kit test for free chlorine and combined chlorine.

Regardless it is low.

Brush the pool around a few times each day for the next few days. Here in WI you might want to try 30 for a couple weeks and see how your FC level holds before going much higher.

The best way to add would be to put it into a sock and hang it in front of a return or in the skimmer. Here it is in Pool School: You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some. Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock in the skimmer basket. The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a week.

It goes a little quicker if you occasionally knead the sock too. Squeezing it for a minuter or two as often as you have a chance will accelerate it's disolving.

Attachments

• CYA in sock return jet.jpg
    CYA in sock return jet.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 25
Are you somewhat comfortable with the test kit ?? Videos of some of the tests are located here: https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

Did you actually measure out 1 pound of stabilizer ?? Doing it by weight is the better method for dry chemicals but most people add by volume. If you added by weight it should give you a CYA level close to 20 if you were at zero. You should use 20 for your calculations until you retest it in a week.
With a CYA of 20 you should SLAM (shock) at 10ppm FC. You want to do the best you can of maintaining that 10ppm at all times. If you need to go one or two over at first that's ok if it helps you keep from dropping down too far below 10 that first couple of hours. You should try to test every hour at first as usually the pool will eat chlorine like crazy. Yours isn't as bad as most so need to see how the tests look to figure out how often you need to test or how long you can comfortably go between tests.
You want to remove the ladder and scrub it well including the underside of the steps. Green stuff likes to hide there.

Are you ready to start to SLAM, have you brought up your FC level yet ??

How are you filtering if you aren't using the skimmer ??
Can you post a current picture of the water looking down into the pool ??

I did not weigh the stabilizer. It was 1 3/4 lb container. I used about 1/2. I used my chlorine floater today because I still have a bucket of 3" pucks.

Kiss for a frog. I went to fleet farm today and the best bleach I could find was Clorox Germicidal.

Sodium Hypochlorite 8.3%
Other ingredients 91.7%
(Yields 7.9% available chlorine.)
20140719_191418.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I thought my skimmer is.
20140719_191442.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The pool just isn't crystal clear. I think I need to keep filtering and cleaning the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.