Help? How to do two colors of pebbletec

May 25, 2023
SoCal
We are just a few weeks out from doing pebble on our new pool but we have no idea how we should do the two different colors. I like the Turtle Bay deep color but not how it looks in the shallow end. For the shallower areas we’re thinking Desert Gold.

Would it look stupid if we did Desert Gold for the entire top 3.5’? Should we only do the horizontal shallow areas? How do you do it? Our pool company is no help with design.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TFP!

Two different colored plaster - The only time I have see it done so far is when someone put a "sand" color on a shelf to make it look like a "beach". I have not see anyone do the pool floor in 2 different colors. I am sure it is doable if you are willing to pay for it. I am going to ping @AQUA~HOLICS as he does pools for a living and might have some insight in this idea.

I will tell you my gut worry when I first read this "Our pool company is no help with design." If they don't want to do it I would worry about forcing them to do it. What they might be saying without saying out loud is they don't know HOW to do it. As such they might not be able to do a top notch job on it. Just something to think about.

Reactions: SunnywBlueskies
I meant to share this link with you:

Reactions: SunnywBlueskies
Interesting. I certainly would not do the top 3.5 in a different color. Its not like paint where you can do a line with painters tape to keep 2 colors separate. You would end up with a silly-looking stripe around the pool that would likely not be a straight line. Plus I would think the water would just end up being a combination of the 2 colors.

If anything, you could do a tanning ledge or other horizontal surfaces in a different color. I would avoid doing steps in 2 different colors, and I still think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if this is something the pool company (and ultimately their pebble contractor) has never done.

Two different colors of plaster is most commonly done at the break on the edge of a radius on a reef step. This process adds to the overall cost of the job because the hopper and hose system must be washed out between color changes. If I understand correctly you would like the break in colors continuously around the pools specific depth. This I personally have not seen done before. Who is the plaster company in SoCal that’s doing the installation? I would only trust two plaster companies in SoCal to accomplish this task if it can be done.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Two different colored plaster - The only time I have see it done so far is when someone put a "sand" color on a shelf to make it look like a "beach". I have not see anyone do the pool floor in 2 different colors. I am sure it is doable if you are willing to pay for it. I am going to ping @AQUA~HOLICS as he does pools for a living and might have some insight in this idea.

I will tell you my gut worry when I first read this "Our pool company is no help with design." If they don't want to do it I would worry about forcing them to do it. What they might be saying without saying out loud is they don't know HOW to do it. As such they might not be able to do a top notch job on it. Just something to think about.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t I explained very well. We have shelf areas and a swim up bar. Our contractors are subbing it out so I guess I could call the actual pebbletec applicator to ask but I thought you guys might be able to give better feedback. I’ll try to attach pictures for a better idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 15
Two different colors of plaster is most commonly done at the break on the edge of a radius on a reef step. This process adds to the overall cost of the job because the hopper and hose system must be washed out between color changes. If I understand correctly you would like the break in colors continuously around the pools specific depth. This I personally have not seen done before. Who is the plaster company in SoCal that’s doing the installation? I would only trust two plaster companies in SoCal to accomplish this task if it can be done.
Gardner is the applicator

I was thinking of just doing the shallow areas the desert gold because the dark gritty color of Turtle Bay doesn’t look good to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi and welcome to TFP!

Sorry for the confusion. Definitely don’t want the pool bottom two different colors but wanted the shallower areas where I can see not to look like a dark grit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.