Help! Honeybees around saltwater intex pool!

Nancier

Jun 5, 2019
CT
Hello friends, I’ve recently set up an intex pool with a saltwater filter. My neighbor keeps bees and unfortunately for me, honeybees are attracted to it to make honey (according to google). My four year old son was already stung yesterday (our first time in the pool) and the problem is seemingly getting worse daily. I’ve tried to repel with dryer sheets, soap water, garlic etc. but it isn’t working. Any other ideas? Should i convert to chlorine?
If so, can I use my existing saltwater sand filter on just the filter pump setting only? Do I need to drain the pool in its entirety and refill?

Thank you anyone and everyone for your insight! It would be very much appreciated as I'm feeling like I can't even use what was supposed to be a summer oasis for the fam!

Welcome to the forum!
Your saltwater pool is all ready using chlorine. Your Saltwater Chlorine Generator is adding chlorine.
How are you testing your chlorine levels? Your CYA? Typically bug issues with pool water is because the chlorine levels are insufficient.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Your saltwater pool is all ready using chlorine. Your Saltwater Chlorine Generator is adding chlorine.
How are you testing your chlorine levels? Your CYA? Typically bug issues with pool water is because the chlorine levels are insufficient.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you! The levels are all testing well. Yes, the saltwater generator is adding the chlorine, but it seems the bees are less attracted to chemical chlorine pools. So frustrating as a watch 40-50 bees hang around it right now!

Ask you bee keeping neighbor to put one or more fresh water sources between his hives and your pool. It may take a few days for the bees to find these new sources, but if they are kept clean and fresh you bee proglem should subside.

I seem to recall something about bees being attracted to pools because the chlorine is like alcohol or crack to them - or maybe it was another type of bug. If so, it may help to slightly chlorinate the new water sources - any maybe add a little salt.

Are you keeping your FC levels up according to the FC/CYA Levels?

Last edited:
Our local veteran pest control guy has been seeing this issue with a few Salt Water pools in the Sierra foothills of California. His company's story is that the bees are attracted to the salt water and favor it over fresh water. No resolution as of yet.

Again, if FC is properly managed this issue has normally gone away in past reports on this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you get that data?
IF correct - it is not good. Very low FC, no CYA, and high CC. Most likely algae in the water and that attracts bugs.

No, you need a proper test kit. Strips are at best a guess. Please do not do any chemical additions based on them.

What volume is this pool?

I don't think that salt water is any more attractive to the bees than fresh water.

Try putting out some fresh water closer to the property line to see if the bees will go to that.

Maybe ask the bee keepers to put out fresh water for the bees so that they don't need to go looking for water.

Another option is peppermint. My pool deck seems to attract bees but this year I set out three peppermint plants in containers and the bees have definitely been reduced. Just be careful if you plant it in the ground as it tends to grow quickly although it is not as invasive as mint.

Reactions: Baumeister
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.