Help! Generic Heat Pump Question

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all - pool owner and tfp follower for a few years now...

Since I’ve been a pool owner (3 years), I haven’t really touched my electric heat pump Other than to run it for a day once a year (see image for heat pump specs). I recently read the article on this site about heat pumps etc.

I’m thinking about actually using it this year, but curious on how much this will cost me on average. My KWH rate is $0.0159.

for example, would love to use the pool this Memorial Day weekend with water temp at 84-85.

Outside air temp (high/low)
Today:63/55. Current water temp at 630 pm est was around 64 degrees.
Fri: 77/58
Sat: 83/65”
Sun: 86/67
Mon: 86/67

Would I turn this on tomorrow late (Friday) morning to be ready 24 hours later (Saturday)? Would I just leave the heat pump on 24/7 at desired temp the entire weekend? Any idea on how much this all costs (I just have no sense if this extraordinary amount of $ or manageable - subjective I know :)).

22,000 gallon pool.

thank you

Attachments

• D59EF0DE-E340-47A0-9021-85C5076B8FC8.jpeg
    D59EF0DE-E340-47A0-9021-85C5076B8FC8.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Your electricity is cheap, sure it isn’t $0.159 a kWh? If it is 0.0159, and a quick internet search says your heater uses 5.5 kw per hour, then it it would only cost about $0.09 an hour to run.

Your pool will take 182,000 btus to increase one degree and your heater Is rated at 117,000 btus. With some loss, say maybe a degree every two hours? My admittedly rough math says 24 hours will only get you 12 degrees and without a cover some will be lost.

Your electricity is cheap, sure it isn’t $0.159 a kWh? If it is 0.0159, and a quick internet search says your heater uses 5.5 kw per hour, then it it would only cost about $0.09 an hour to run.

Your pool will take 182,000 btus to increase one degree and your heater Is rated at 117,000 btus. With some loss, say maybe a degree every two hours? My admittedly rough math says 24 hours will only get you 12 degrees and without a cover some will be lost.

thank you. I actually called to confirm my rate - it’s actually $0.082 KWH. So even if I had my heat pump on 24/7 that’s about $1.92 a day.

Heat pumps are relatively cheap to run but they are not "on demand" heaters. They are more "set it and forget it". You best turn it on asap.

You also have to be running your pump with your HP. So factor any additional pump electrical cost into it.

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator that can do the calculations for you. Select the BTU HP closest to what you have. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh to the actual price in your area.

You also have to be running your pump with your HP. So factor any additional pump electrical cost into it.

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator that can do the calculations for you. Select the BTU HP closest to what you have. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh to the actual price in your area.

Thanks. I run my pump 24/7 so no additional factor. So I figured at max it costs to run $10.48 per 24 hours. Since I’m trying to have this ready in 30 hours from now, I should turn it on now. The low tonight is 58 so I assume will prob be running all night in order to prevent loss. I prob will just keep it on for the weekend and flip it off. So a max cost of about $45 for the weekend (if Heater ran 24/7 until Monday, but it’s likely more about half of that with day time heating etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your HP isn't going to run 24hrs/day. It's going to heat to temp then shut off. Solar gain will help hold it at set temp. You don't have to run the pump/HP at night unless you're going to swim at night. Set it to come on early enough to get to temp when you want to swim, set it to shut down when swim time is over. I have mine set to run about 16hrs /day. Rough estimate is $1.50-$2.00/day to operate including the pump and that's with cooling too. You're in a colder climate and your pool's bigger so maybe a little more.

Your HP isn't going to run 24hrs/day. It's going to heat to temp then shut off. Solar gain will help hold it at set temp. You don't have to run the pump/HP at night unless you're going to swim at night. Set it to come on early enough to get to temp when you want to swim, set it to shut down when swim time is over. I have mine set to run about 16hrs /day. Rough estimate is $1.50-$2.00/day to operate including the pump and that's with cooling too. You're in a colder climate and your pool's bigger so maybe a little more.

I think I do have to have it run at night. It started at 65 degrees (water temp) this morning when I turned it on. The low tonight is 60 and it’s been running for 12 hours. Even with some solar heat today it’s only at around 74 degrees. I think I need to keep it on tonight otherwise I won’t be able to have it climb in time tomorrow.
Perhaps what you’re saying is once I do the initial 24/7 run time to bring it up to desired temp. I can cut it off at night, then early morning flip it on as I may have lost some at night, but it be able to be regained in about 5-6 hours (1 deg per hour rise).

Last edited:
Also - is it normal for the heat pump to be leaking like this? Believe this is just condensation but seems pretty wet.

Attachments

• C73CAF1E-C1E5-400C-8B97-CF713B111804.jpeg
    C73CAF1E-C1E5-400C-8B97-CF713B111804.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 3
  • F64A1A01-AE6E-49DA-89C6-0C080C71FFB9.jpeg
    F64A1A01-AE6E-49DA-89C6-0C080C71FFB9.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3F6928EF-430B-4062-A04D-205BB194C5EC.jpeg
    3F6928EF-430B-4062-A04D-205BB194C5EC.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes they can sweat more than Richard Simmons with the oldies if the humidity and air temp are at a certain level. Some days mine made a bigger pool than the pool.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.