Help from Mass

Richardz202

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2019
MA
Hello all. Need some advice for a current steel kit pool that I am removing and replacing with a polymer kit.

Will be doing everything except the plumbing and electrical myself! Super excited ??

Richard,

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your very cool project. Some details and photo's of existing equipment and pool would be very helpful. Also, please fill in your "signature" with details on equipment and project. Do this by clicking on the screen name above right. Then select "signature" which will open a window for you to type in. Be sure to press SAVE. You can update as your pool changes.

You have an armada of experts here anxious to provide expert advice on literally anything related to pools. They will help you a lot and you can always trust there's no bias that is $ related because we sell absolutely nothing. Just sharee a sincere desire to help pool owners successfully care for their pools using science and value based methodology.. So just ask away! We have your back!

Chris

Reactions: bmccarthy98
Thanks!

This is actually my first forum (posting). I have read plenty of threads for learning needs.
I’ve completed my signature and I’ll definitely keep it updated as it goes.

I started a thread on the plumbing side also, because there are SO many options for pumps/filters/skimmers. SWG vs chlorine. I’m learning now though. In just 1 day on the forum I feel like an expert!! (Not) !

Attaching some pics of this current nightmare!
195BFF1E-871C-4173-98FF-B7F57DCFC302.jpeg195BFF1E-871C-4173-98FF-B7F57DCFC302.jpegimage.jpg

Wow,

Big pool and big job! What are your plans for the next few steps? Or what are the options you're considering? This is waaaay out of my league but with a little more info I can figure out who should be called in to help. I'm sure many will stop by to say hi also.

Chris

That’s a Pacific package, not many are left in the ground.

What’s your goal? - if it’s swimming bustout your checkbook..

Where in Massachusetts are you?

This is out of the DIY realm... find a component contractor.. looks like your pool has had 2 Hail Marys already.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely a replacement. On the other side of the pool is all rusted through near the skimmer and returns.

Ive got 2 -8’ sections removed so far. It’s not to bad with about a hundred metal sawzall blades.

I also plan on removing the concrete around the pool and replacing that as well.

I plan on a full replacement with polymer walls. Unfortunately the company I currently am looking into wants to sell me everything else that goes with the pool kit. But all they offer is Hayward products and thanks to some helpful folks I’ve been told to stay away.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be fair, that pool is shot. Replace it my friend.
I agree. You sure have your work cut out for you. I suppose it helps having family in the business, (but) I wouldn't touch this pool unless it was going to be fully demoed and replaced. BE CAREFUL, that looks like either native sandy soil or it was imported for the original build. I would recommend total demo, including the existing soil/sand, then import DIRT, compact, and begin again. Im sure that's not what you wanted to hear but, i'm afraid that if you rebuild with the existing material in there, the same thing is going to happen (a lot of movement). The sandy soil probably made for a easy go at shaping up the pool for the liner, but as you can see it doesn't give much stability when outside forces begin to work on it.

Having said all that, i am a concrete/gunite pool guy, so im probably no help in terms of direction other than to tell you what you already know...

Good luck.

Edit: Pentair and Raypak for the equipment.

Last edited: