Help for a novice

Jun 8, 2017
Stillwater/MN
I have had issues with maintaining any FC and was preparing to SLAM. My PH was a bit low so tried to increase, but made a mistake and added baking soda which did nothing for my PH but significantly increased my TA. I got a k-2006 this week. Here are my current readings.
FC - 0
PH 7.0 by color, but chart says I'd need 12 lb of soda ash
TA 240
CH 230
CYA 80? - the black dot disappeared but that seems high to me given a pool store test a week ago

what do I tackle first? The kids are antsy to get back in the pool. Thanks.

This is new to me so just wanted to avoid mistakes. I greatly appreciate the advice. Our pool has been clear, so no visible signs of algae but given that it eats chlorine rapidly leads me to think there's something in there. It was cloudy this spring and took a week of pump running and multiple filter cleanings to clear it up. No offense meant in my clarifying your guidance.

You are fine.

You are correct in thinking that if you can't hold your FC easily that there is something going on in your pool causing it to work which breaks down the chlorine into CC.

I would SLAM and look for any nooks and crannies where any dirt or algae could be hiding. Steps, lights, even the skimmer can all be culprits. Could be something gross hiding somewhere, could be a bit of algae in the water that hasn't made itself visible yet.

Busy day with much progress. Used the air compressor to aerate - dropping the hose with a small nozzle seemed to work just fine - I picked up a 15 lb rubber coated anchor to give it a bit more stability and control. I also added borax and had the ph at 7.4 in no time. Also scrubbed the entire pool - while pulling the skimmer baskets it dawned on me the light discoloration was algae. Spot treated with chlorine and scrubbed completely. I started slaming with 12 gl - 7 gl the second round and 5 gl the third round - CC was 1.2 at last reading. Will continue into tomorrow, but hope we are on the home stretch. Thanks for all the advice - you were all spot on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.