Help Fixing Pool Light: Cord or Light?

Thans for the replies! I'm a complete novice with this but safety is my #1 priority and I just want to make sure Im doing everything right.

Like I said the pool light timer is powered by an outdoor plug (which has a fuse thing) I believe is GFCI protected. If you look at the picture I posted above (and in this post) the plug is to the right of the box. After that box is plugged in, a wire is connected to the "Circuit #1 Common 300 watt max" and the "low volt hot 11 volt". This wire goes from the box into the conduit that runs underground.

Running a connection like that from an outlet to some junction box is against code. Things sound improperly grounded and/or bonded. You should not be connecting the hot and neutral lines without the ground connection. Pool lights are not allowed to be connected from an outlet through a timer into a connection box like you have.

We can’t begin to diagnose the wiring you have through an internet forum and you do not have the knowledge to properly describe the wiring to us. It takes an electrician on site to figure it out.

Just because the light works does not mean it is safe.

You've already been shocked. That didn't give you a sense that it might be dangerous?

I was shocked because the gasket on the pool light was not properly installed and the pool light flooded. When I was shocked the GFCI tripped.

AJW22 is saying that the way the pool light is wired, makes it dangerous.

I understand that a flooded pool light is dangerous (that is what shocked me). I do not understand how the wiring is dangerous. Im trying to figure out if it is setup correctly or not. If it is not setup correctly I need to know what part is incorrect, so I or a professional can fix it.

Running a connection like that from an outlet to some junction box is against code. Things sound improperly grounded and/or bonded. You should not be connecting the hot and neutral lines without the ground connection. Pool lights are not allowed to be connected from an outlet through a timer into a connection box like you have.

We can’t begin to diagnose the wiring you have through an internet forum and you do not have the knowledge to properly describe the wiring to us. It takes an electrician on site to figure it out.

Just because the light works does not mean it is safe.

I completely understand that "just because it works doesnt mean its safe". Thats why Im not using the light until it is. I don't think Im describing this right.

I disconnected the pool timer box from the GFCI plug in the picture. Then when I flipped the switch in the second picture the pool light turns on and off. So Im guessing the pool light is getting power from the switch. Have you ever seen a switch like this before?

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 14
A properly wired pool should not shock you even when the pool light is flooded.

A properly wired pool is safe even when equipment or wiring fails. Your wiring lacks the safety protections required by the NEC.

There are too many issues here to guess at a piecemeal analysis. A complete understanding has to gained about all the wiring from the circuit breaker to the light including any switches and junction boxes. This needs to include the power wires, grounding and bonding.

If you can do that and provide a complete circuit diagram with pictures we can continue.

The GFCI not tripping until you were shocked indicates incorrect grounding and bonding. The GFCI should have tripped with the light flooded as soon as power was applied to the light.

Thanks for the replies AJW22. I know 3ish years ago the GFCI did trip when they replaced the light (when they replaced it, the gasket was replaced wrong and it flooded). A few weeks ago I was trying to figure out why the light wasnt working. I reset the GFCI and about 10 seconds later on my way back to the pool I was shocked and the light went off. I'm guessing the GFCI should have immediately tripped when I reset it or not reset at all.

I understand how you guys cant help without a wiring schematic. Since we don't have one, I was trying to figure out how it was wired. But I guess I'll just let them know they need to get an electrician to figure it out.

You figure out how something is wired using a multimeter with power off. It takes detective work tracing each wire to build a complete picture of what you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.