Help! First time pool owner, I'm on my own now.

JonV

Silver Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Gilbert
My newly finished pool was filled about 12 days ago. Initially, the PB dumped chemicals and after a few days, the water was clear. Now, they have provided quick orientation and I am truly on my own. My water turned cloudy :). Below are results from tests taken this morning:

FC: 0.0
pH: 7.2
TA: 90
CH: 400
CYA: 50

I believe I need to add Chlorine or what should I do first? TIA.

Jon

You will need to SLAM Process. The first thing you need is a good testing kit Test Kits Compared.Then Go buy plenty of Liquid Bleach, make sure no additives or cloromax and start the process, you will also need CYA. Make sure you do not turn on your SWG and wait to add salt after the first month. In the meanwhile please read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Nice signature. You do have a good test kit.
Did you test for Combined Chlorine?
You need to add some chlorine and keep it in the proper range asap FC/CYA Levels
You do have a new pool so be cautious going forward to avoid damage.
Sit tight there will be more good folks here to help.

Let's take a closer look here.
I am not so sure a SLAM is in order or is wise given the new pool.
Do not SLAM (or shock) the pool during the first 30 days. (from here) Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool
Two things we know, zero FC and CC also the water is cloudy. Cloudy water could be from plaster dust or the high calcium hardness correct?
A zero FC is not good, so raise it for now to 8ppm with the 10% liquid chlorine and test the FC and CC levels after an hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My newly finished pool was filled about 12 days ago. Initially, the PB dumped chemicals and after a few days, the water was clear. Now, they have provided quick orientation and I am truly on my own. My water turned cloudy :). Below are results from tests taken this morning:

FC: 0.0
pH: 7.2
TA: 90
CH: 400
CYA: 50

I believe I need to add Chlorine or what should I do first? TIA.

Jon
Yes, your free chlorine needs to be more than zero. I use the TFP’s CYA/chlorine chart to find my ideal target free chlorine-i
And since your calcium already at 400ppm, you might want to use liquid chlorine and stay clear of di - chlor (will raise CYA, and calcium hypo (will raise calcium hardness)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.