Harriscourtney4

Apr 8, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I’m a first time pool owner and my pool was super dark green after opening. I have an above ground 18’ round 4’ deep and I can’t see more than about a foot down into the water. I have tried manually vacuuming as much as I can from the bottom but it is hard to tell what I’m doing since I can’t see. There’s definitely lots of big leaves, algae, and other debris settled at the bottom. I have my sand filter pump running 24 hours a day, and added a skimmer which seems to be helping with surface debris. I am adding double shock every couple days to keep my chlorine levels good (almost no cya when testing but I have added some to the pool, it’s taking a while to dissolve and affect my readings). My ph and alkalinity look good. I have also been adding phosphate remover and a clarifier every couple days. It seems to be getting less green in the mornings but then I try so vacuum some and stir it up to green again. What am I doing wrong, or what else can I do to finally get my water clear???

Reactions: blhmbail
Welcome fellow Houstonian to TFP.
When you vacuum is it going to waste or to your filter? You may wish to try to go to waste if that is possible but you will need to add water.
Try to scoop up big debris with a net - even off the bottom.
Maybe if you post your current FC and CC level just so we understand where you are because you need to stop algae from growing. Are you familiar with the FC/CYA Levels? Also have you heard of the SLAM Process? That is what you need to follow to get rid of your algae. You do not need phos remover or a clarifier. Just chlorine will work. Suggest you purchase 4-8 gals of liquid chlorine at Home Deport, or Walmart or even at Leslie's but do not buy other things they want to sell you. I go to Pinch a Penny as their LC is a little cheaper but you buy it in 2.5gal jugs.
Come back with your test data and read the info provided.

First, you need a reliable test kit. The link in my signature will take you to the place to order the TF-100, the one we recommend. Don’t bother taking a sample to the pool store - it is highly unlikely their numbers will be right.

You need to try to remove all the solid debris from the pool while you await your test kit. You’ll waste chlorine if you don’t. Because the chlorine will work on breaking the debris down and be expended before it can do much to the algae.

Don‘t add anything other than liquid chlorine (plain, not store bleach with additives) while you await your test kit. You can also read up on Pool Water Chemistry and the SLAM process, linked in my sig. Also, keep an eye on your sand filter’s pressure - you should backwash when it increases by 25% above normal.

Once you get your test kit, post your numbers in this thread and we’ll help you figure out where to start.

Oh, and let’s see a photo of your water today. You are going to be amazed at your progress!

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can use the Pool Math app to calculate how much liquid chlorine to add every day to get you to 3ppm while you wait for test kit. If you are using 10% chlorine and your pool is 7000 gallons, you should add one gallon per day and keep pump running.

The Pool Math app is invaluable!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.