Help determining valve setup and spa drain when pump off new to me pool

So there you go, swadeab. You can't run just the heater circuit in the winter, because you'd still need to filter. If you have no plans to ever heat your pool, then your current setup is probably fine. If the spa circuit is the one that runs the jets (or the jets you most use), then I'd guess it was plumbed the way it is because the previous owner didn't care to heat his pool and wanted the jets in the spa to feel warmer than the spa water.

RD's thinking that the heater is protected well enough by the intake grate makes sense. And the water clarity is provided by the filter circuit.

If you want to be able to heat your pool regularly, you should probably replumb the heater to the filter circuit, but remember that will mean the spa jets won't feel warmer than the spa water. Which is fine, and maybe you won't like hotter water from the jets. So use it for a while as plumbed and see how you like it.

When you're ready to automate, we can help you with product selection and installation. Keep in mind, your automation controller, SWG and pumps should all be of the same brand to work best together. So if you need to replace a pump or SWG before you automate, be sure to coordinate your purchase with future purchase plans.

thanks for the info and help guys. Yeah guess i'll leave it. Also asked the local pool supply who does repairs too when i went by to grab something and didn't get the drift it was unusual in the area as long as
the pool was filtered. I'll move on to more cleanup and automation reading next.

Reactions: Dirk
Oh dirk sorry missed your reply. Right, I doubt we'd run pool heater regularly. So many warm days here, the house is usually pooled out before summer is over. heating it only shifts the usage block right or left, doesn't seem to extend it which is why never added it to the last one. But who knows! first time for having a heater we'll see how it goes and right check it out first then replumb if needed.

Thanks for the automation info. on being same brand. the hayward aquarite salt cell system is working fine., main pump isn't VS nor 2spd even and i did notice it has a bit of a whine at times but not annoying yet , so probably pumps and whatever automation options. I'll do some reading , last i looked at that stuff was ages ago, want to upgrade the lighting too , main light is out (voltage check was ok) so good timing for that.

You're on the right track. Take it slow. Do your research. Ask lots of questions here. Have a plan before you buy the next component, so whatever you upgrade fits the master plan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.