HELP! DE coming out of jets?

Sep 17, 2013
Took the grids out today and cleaned them, sprayed with simple green and rinsed throughly, put everything back together and added de.

When I did it, I didn't notice that I left the valve on backwash for a solid 10-15min. Noticed the water dropped 3-4" and quickly realized my mistake.

Stopped pump, added more DE and then quickly noticed that the spa was very cloudy and the Polaris port had DE coming out it.

Filter is is only 2yrs old, didn't notice any tears in grids. What else could it be?

Best way to get it out of pool is to wait for it to settle and vacuum up?

Going to be he'll keeping the dog from drinking out of the pool

Appreciate any help y'all can offer

You added DE with the filter in Backwash. That made the DE go inside the grids. When you switched back to filter, the DE went from inside the grids into the pool. I would take the grids back out and reclean them.

You added DE with the filter in Backwash. That made the DE go inside the grids. When you switched back to filter, the DE went from inside the grids into the pool. I would take the grids back out and reclean them.

This was what I was afraid of. So clean grids again tomorrow.

Just leave the pool off so DE will settle? Best way to get it out?

What happens if the dog (16 month old Great Dane) drinks from the pool?

You could let it run and the DE would eventually mostly clear from the inside of the grids. You could do Rinse a few times to see if that helps. Or you could take the grids out and reclean them.
The MSDS indicates that ingestion is not a serious danger. I don’t think that drinking from the pool could cause a problem. However, it’s probably best to avoid drinking from the pool.
Ingestion.....................………………. May cause slight irritation. Not hazardous when digested.
Ingestion......................………………. No known health effects with short-term exposure. Drink water to reduce bulk and drying effects. Seek medical attention if symptoms appear.
http://www.commercialaquaticsupplies.com/MSDS%20Diatomaceus%20Earth.pdf
Just let it settle and vacuum it up.

You could let it run and the DE would eventually mostly clear from the inside of the grids. You could do Rinse a few times to see if that helps. Or you could take the grids out and reclean them.
The MSDS indicates that ingestion is not a serious danger. I don’t think that drinking from the pool could cause a problem. However, it’s probably best to avoid drinking from the pool.

Just let it settle and vacuum it up.

I'll let the filter run over night and see how the pool looks in the morning, but plan on having to vacuum

Just be careful about getting de in anything downstream of the filter. Probably will be ok. However, it could possibly be an issue. If any doubt, just reclean the grids.

Just be careful about getting de in anything downstream of the filter. Probably will be ok. However, it could possibly be an issue. If any doubt, just reclean the grids.

I added 5-6 "scoops" to the filter this evening and have it set to run all night, to hopefully soak up some of the extra DE. Plan on backwaahing and starting fresh tomorrow.......and of course vacuuming up any excess de alone the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.