Help! Construction site run off into my pool!!

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
My pool abuts a property line where a new house is being built. The lot is somewhat elevated and sloping down towards my pool. Yesterday, we had thunderstorms all day with torrential rains. I went out last night to this :(. (Of course it was crystal clear leading to this) :

woF1yD0

gGlNCnq.jpg

woF1yD0

woF1yD0

You could see the run off, mud etc. tracks in the slope. Despite the builder's barrier, the run off still got through. I contacted the builder and he immediately showed up. His pool company came by today and did what they could which included vacuuming the bottom (to waste), scrubbing the sides, and shock treatment.

Unfortunately, it didn't do much and I suspect the issue is that there is silt, sand, sediment that isn't settling and/or being caught by the filter. I also cleaned the filter cartridges. I was told to let it run overnight and circle back tomorrow.

Do I need to do anything to treat the pool other than shock given the runoff? I assume the quickest way to resolve this is to drain the pool and refill? Other thoughts? Am i missing something here? Obviously looking to get the pool up and running as quickly as possible given the Holiday week.

I would take pictures of everything. Personally I would have them pay for the drain, refill and rebalance. Get it in writing and it would only take a threat of a phone call to the agency in charge of permits to get them quickly on your side. There is no telling what actually went into the pool.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

With a fiberglass pool in your area with the high water levels you do not want to drain much water.

The best way is to exchange some water. The pool service should bring a trash pump and water truck with clean water and pull from the deep end and add to the shallow end. Two or three pool volumes. Then start over on chemistry.

Be sure to get a proper test kit ordered.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

With a fiberglass pool in your area with the high water levels you do not want to drain much water.

The best way is to exchange some water. The pool service should bring a trash pump and water truck with clean water and pull from the deep end and add to the shallow end. Two or three pool volumes. Then start over on chemistry.

Be sure to get a proper test kit ordered.

I was thinking this same thing. Although, there's a lot of ledge around me and it is dry. I thought I had read you should never fully drain a fiberglass pool.

So basically they would run a pump from the deep to waste while adding water to the shallow end. I assume they would do this until the truck is empty??

As I stated, you do not want to drain your pool.

The water exchange they will balk at the cost. They would need a lot of trucks.

After thinking about it, I would get them to bring in a service that has its own pump and filter on a trailer or dolly and use their equipment to clear it. They could use alum (floc) and be sure they send that to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.