Help confirming all equipment please!

EngineeredPool

Jun 5, 2019
East Lyme, CT
New pool owner, Swg system, I see the swg cell and the sand filter. And the black pump. The pool guy who opened the pool said the gray thing wasn't needed and he only reinstalled it because it was in line. I believe it is abandoned from when they switched to Swg. Was the pool guy right about the gray thing?

Also the swg was on... I turned it off based on my reading since we aren't to the adding salt stage, was that right?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190605_182203832.jpg
    IMG_20190605_182203832.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190605_182231075.jpg
    IMG_20190605_182231075.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Obviously the big sphere is the filter.

The smaller grey item looks to be a Nature 2 mineral system. manual. We highly discourage the use of mineral systems!! Your pool guy was right that it isn't necessary. Adding metals to the pool can and usually does cause staining over time. Open the top and make sure there is no cartridge in it. If you see a cartridge inside, pull it out.
If the water hasn't been replaced recently, I'd suggest taking a water sample to your local pool store and have them check for copper. Do you have any staining on your pool?

Before you add salt, be sure to test the salt level. Salt doesn't disappear unless you remove and replace the water so you may not have to add as much as you think. If all the green lights were lit on the SWG, then the SWG thinks there is enough salt in the pool. If the low salt light was on, then the SWG wasn't doing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: EngineeredPool
ooo, thanks for the info! I can check out the grey item a little closer tonight. I found all the pool paperwork this morning but didn't get a chance to check if it had a manual like the other stuff before going to work. I did see a receipt for a mineral cartridge from a long time ago so that sounds like that could be it! No staining on the pool liner but it was replaced in 2017.

The SWG was saying low salt, check cell at 1700 reading so there is some salt in the system, which means it probably wasn't doing anything but I turned it to off just in case anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
EP,

I recommend that you never trust the salt level that the cell provides.. As the cell ages that levels can be off... You really need to test the salt with a good salt test kit before adding any salt to your pool... I use the Taylor K-1766, which works well for me.

This allows you to compare the actual salt level with the reported salt level, so that you can ensure that the cell is correctly reading the salinity..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.