Help! Cloudy pool

lyssamae01

Jun 12, 2022
Lincoln, Nebraska
We have a 24' above ground pool. Didn't cover it this winter because we were going to replace the liner, but rolling with it until we get a new pool put in.

I've been slamming this thing for nearly a week, there's been rain, I've been vacuuming to waste and adding new water - well water - is this an issue?

What am I doing wrong here? I can't get it to turn over. It's so cloudy I can't see the bottom. Ph and alkalinity are in check.

I slammed it last year and it was so easy. This year, not so much. Any tips?20230519_093011.jpg

What am I doing wrong here?
Can you post some water test results? That would be our first step.

As for well water, yes, that can be a problem with iron staining and/or discoloration, but not the cloudiness.

I suspect that you have a couple issues right now. First, you are not maintaining your FC at the property SLAM level for that process to work. The other is relying on pool store testing. Not only is it often times wrong, but you can't be expected to go there throughout each to to maintain that elevated FC level. You really need a proper test kit of your own.

I suspect that you have a couple issues right now. First, you are not maintaining your FC at the property SLAM level for that process to work. The other is relying on pool store testing. Not only is it often times wrong, but you can't be expected to go there throughout each to to maintain that elevated FC level. You really need a proper test kit of your own.
I do have my own test kit, and have been using it during this SLAM period. I've been keeping my FC level at 16 for SLAM. Probably low now because I've given up with the SLAM. Been at it for over a week and the cloudiness has not changed. The other pool store test results reflect that of mine pretty much.

What am I doing wrong here? I can't get it to turn over. It's so cloudy I can't see the bottom. Ph and alkalinity are in check.
I do have my own test kit, and have been using it during this SLAM period. I've been keeping my FC level at 16 for SLAM.
Which test kit do you have? Post up a full set of results from your kit. It is very difficult for the mods and experts to provide answers from suspect test results from a pool store.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I do have my own test kit, and have been using it during this SLAM period. I've been keeping my FC level at 16 for SLAM. Probably low now because I've given up with the SLAM. Been at it for over a week and the cloudiness has not changed. The other pool store test results reflect that of mine pretty much.
Please post YOUR results from your kit
Also, please add all your equipment to your signature so we can see what you’re working with

Probably low now because I've given up with the SLAM. Been at it for over a week and the cloudiness has not changed.
That's unfortunate. A week or more isn't unreasonable for a pool just coming out of hibernation. When you allow the FC to fall, you stall your progress significantly. You've been with us for about a year now, so I'm sure you know how we feel about pool store testing, so when we see a set of pool store test numbers posted we immediate think you either don't' have a test kit or are comparing advice.

Regardless, in TFP terms, it's relatively simple. Accurate testing followed by maintaining the SLAM FC level is key. At the same time, giving all areas of the pool a thorough inspection and cleaning helps the SLAM along. I also noted that your signature is not updated. I'm assuming you have a sand filter, but it would be nice to see everything in the signature as that can drive the answers you receive.

The SLAM Process works, you just have to be consistent and accurate.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.