Help choosing a pool paint

Oct 27, 2014
Iowa
So I have a bit of a dilemma. We moved into our home 3 years ago. It has an in-ground indoor concrete/plaster pool . The previous owner had painted the pool with a product called Envirolon which is a synthetic rubber paint made by Kelley Technical Coatings out of Kentucky. They did a poor job of painting it as you could see all the roller marks. So I decided to re-coat the pool. I followed all the prep instructions and everything was great until the paint started to blister. I spoke with Kelley Tech and they advised me that I most likely applied the paint to to hot of conditions since it was the entire pool that blistered. So I removed all the loose paint,,,,prepped the surface and re-coated again. Again I have blisters everywhere. This time I sent a chip into Kelley Tech and they advised me to remove as much of the paint as possible cause there appears to be a chemical issue in one of the coats of paint. That each time I apply a coat of the Envirolon product it melts with the other coats and is pulling the problem into the new paint. They have been a great company to work with and are offering to send me product for free. My dilemma is I'm concerned that this is going to happen again and it is a ton of work and a lot of mess trying to get that old paint off. So I'm thinking about using their water based acrylic enamel instead of the synthetic rubber. It wont "blend" with the existing coating,,,it's alot less fussy when it comes to application conditions i.e. , temp, moisture, etc and it is a lot easier to clean up. My biggest concern is durability. Does anybody here have experience with the durability of water based acrylic pool paints?

What a mess. I bet your heart sank when you saw the blisters :(

Here at TFP we have seen some painted pools and one word that does not get used about it is "durability". Paint does not seem to last very long even if it is done professionally and in ideal conditions. If you are planning on staying in the house for a while your best bet would be to have all of the paint removed down to the shell and replaster. Yeah it costs more but...........how many coats of paint have you put on the pool already? What is your time and worry worth?

Let us know what you end up doing.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.