Help. Can't stabilize pH with normal alkalinity

If a FC of 13.5 with a CYA of 50 effected you, then I would suspect either the FC is higher or the CYA is lower.

The active chlorine in your pool, if the FC and CYA are correct, is not harsh in any way. Now the pH -- that could be an issue if it was not started at 7.2 or you have done this SLAM for a very long time.

For a Deep Read on FC, CYA, and their relationship -- see -- Pool Water Chemistry

Just to verify my results. I mixed the CYA reagent as directed.
Here's the view tube at 60 and 50. IMG_2404.jpgIMG_2405.jpg

regarding your cya test, going by your shadow you do not have your back to the sun
chlorine levels appropriate to cya levels will be so gentle
compared to other pools and chemicals in life
that it will not bleach bathing suits or affect skin
unless you have a severe medical condition
and even then there have been many tfp users that have found a correctly balance pool has benefited them

Thanks again for setting me straight. I followed the instructions that came with the kit, which said nothing about the light, which can be a huge variable. It frustrates me that the manufactures don't give all the necessary information. It's a wonder that anybody's pool is decent without a forum like this.
I repeated the test, it was about the same. Could possibly be 45 but not lower. That test is the hardest for me. So I poured back in the bottle and repeat a few times to make sure.
So I want to verify that I am doing the chlorine test properly. Because I lost so much chlorine yesterday, it didn't make sense. Last night I lost 2 ppm but today with bright sun all day, I only lost 1 ppm. Now 12.5.
The chlorine test. Put 10mL pool water in a graduated cylinder, and one heaping scoop of DPD, mix. Carefully add uniform drops, mixing in between each one until the pink solution is colorless. Each drop is 0.5 ppm. Correct?

Correct on the FC test. Good job.

You will soon want a SpeedStir -- makes the swirl part go away!!

Use CYA of 50 for your targets.

Good luck.

Correct on the FC test. Good job.

You will soon want a SpeedStir -- makes the swirl part go away!!

Use CYA of 50 for your targets.

Good luck.

Last night FC 12.5
This morning FC 11.5
pH 7.5
Water still crystal clear
Dare I say I'm done? Now to maintain. I have a couple questions. Regarding minimum/target FC. Since I've had mustard algae which do I use? Regular target or mustard algae values? CYA 50

Min FC 7.5% CYA=3.7
Target FC 11.5% CYA=5.7
Mstrd Min 15% CYA=7.5

Also, in regards to circulation, I only have 2 return jets on either end of a 18'x36' rectangle pool. Main drain in the deep end. Skimmer near the steps. The deep end return is on the right corner same side as the skimmer and steps. The other one is at the shallow end, left corner. Can you take a look at my pool and recommend a better return nozzle. Have eyeballs now. Someone recommended an auto circulating nozzle but the pool is so long I don't know if it would really work. It turns 360° along the wall instead out toward the rest of the pool. Maybe I should start a new thread on this last question.
Thanks so much
IMG_2427.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.