Help! Adding Intex Sand Pump to Polygroup Summer Waves Pool

ok, so i have the summer waves 14'x42" pool and the index 2800gph sand filter. i have the old style pool skimmer as well but it won't fit on the new one seeing as how it is round and the old one is square, not a fan of the round one to begin with because the screw on style isn't as tight as the old style screw in faceplate. So pretty much what I'm thinking for attaching all the hoses is that I should be able to go to Lowes or whatever and grab the proper pvc fittings with some pvc cement to fit them together. Then cinch them down with a few hose clamps. Anyone see any real problems with going that way? I'm not super experienced with plumbing, so if anyone has any input on that idea i'd appreciate it. My main question is if the water flow will be enough coming from the skimmer to ensure the pump doesn't run dry. thats going to be a lot of water moving through there pretty quickly so thats basically my only worry. So if anyone already has this setup running i'd love to hear how its working for you. Thanks

I've been reading this thread because I am adding a cartridge filter pump to my 2016 summer waves pool. I'm trying to understand what you did because it seems much easier than cutting cords and dissembling motors.
I have the same pump shown in your first picture, I will refer to this as stock pump. So you decided to take the stock pump completely off of your pool and replace it with the skimmer shown in your second picture correct? Why did you choose this route vs. routing through your stock pump? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been reading this thread because I am adding a cartridge filter pump to my 2016 summer waves pool. I'm trying to understand what you did because it seems much easier than cutting cords and dissembling motors.
I have the same pump shown in your first picture, I will refer to this as stock pump. So you decided to take the stock pump completely off of your pool and replace it with the skimmer shown in your second picture correct? Why did you choose this route vs. routing through your stock pump? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Hello
If asking me I just bought the Aboveground Through-Wall Liner Swimming Pool Skimmer Complete w/ Return Fitting had to cut nothing but,did have to punch screw hole in and did so by placing new skimmer over hole in pool and centering it. Yes you can see the pool liner in the corners I just didn't want to trim them off works fine for me. I did decide to replace the inlet jet that I had to cut a bigger opening glad I did works MUCH better than the one the pool came with. Hope this helps and I use an Intex Sand Filter System

I have the Summer Waves 18 × 48 pool, and want to add the Intex Krystal klear sand pump because the other filter just doesn't do the job... I am just hoping someone can give a step by step instruction on how to hook it up & what connectors or whatever I need to buy... Thank you in advance! !

I'm in this same boat. I just purchased the 18x48 Summer Waves pool and the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2450 GPH System Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI. I have no experiance at all with setting these things up but I see now that the filter doesnt quite go onto the pool. I have been browsing the internet and I have been seeing some sort or valve attachment, people cutting holes into the bottom of the stock filter canister and cutting holes into their pools. After a few hours of trying to figure it out I considered just paying someone to do this for me. If someone could please provide step by step intructions with pictures I would be eternally greatful.

I'm in this same boat. I just purchased the 18x48 Summer Waves pool and the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2450 GPH System Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI. I have no experiance at all with setting these things up but I see now that the filter doesnt quite go onto the pool. I have been browsing the internet and I have been seeing some sort or valve attachment, people cutting holes into the bottom of the stock filter canister and cutting holes into their pools. After a few hours of trying to figure it out I considered just paying someone to do this for me. If someone could please provide step by step intructions with pictures I would be eternally greatful.
How good or loose do the Intex hoses fit onto the existing Summer Escapes skimmer and wall exit pipes?

I had the older style Summer Escapes skimmer and, like above, just used a few windings of electrical tape to increase the motor output diameter for a tighter fit in the Intex hose and a standard hose clamp on the Intex hose. (Because the Intex filter needs the Intex hose screw-on clamp.
My return fitting did not need the tape. (But also needed a hose clamp.)

I believe that a lot of these questions have pretty good answers over here concerning both the old skimmer design and the new skimmer design if you are interested:

Summer Escapes 18'x48

Summer Escapes 18'x48

I have since added some PVC and different valves to be able to hook up a cleaning hose.

30dbec993c4e6c63cd4ee027d8b520b1.jpg

I have had no trouble running through the original skimmer with the impeller and top housing removed. Been running it about 4hrs a day and keeping chemical levels consistent and not having any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How good or loose do the Intex hoses fit onto the existing Summer Escapes skimmer and wall exit pipes?

I had the older style Summer Escapes skimmer and, like above, just used a few windings of electrical tape to increase the motor output diameter for a tighter fit in the Intex hose and a standard hose clamp on the Intex hose. (Because the Intex filter needs the Intex hose screw-on clamp.
My return fitting did not need the tape. (But also needed a hose clamp.)

I have the Summer Waves pool from Walmart. Not the Summer Escapes. From my understanding, the stock filters are different. I don't know about the skimmer but the hoses that put the water back in the pool from the stock filter are 1.25 inches while the hoses for the sand filter I mentioned earlier are 1.5 inches. I bought adapters but like a dummy, I bought adapters that are exactly the same size as the pool hoses rather than just a tab bit bigger or smaller =/

I ended up using a couple of these. They were easy to use, they come in different sizes, and they have them at Lowes or HD.
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1...Coupling-Cast-Iron-or-PVC-to-Cast-Iron-or-PVC

View attachment 52918

So, when I purchased my sand filter, I purchased these : Amazon.com : INTEX 1.25 Garden
Like I stated early, they were exactly the same size as the stock filter hoses so they wouldn't fit together.
The picture above is what I purchased to fit over the connections to the stock filter and stock output connection (The bits connected to the pool to put water back into it.)
Then I purchased a foot of 1.25 Internal diameter hose and squeezed it into the item in the picture.
Then I put the 1.25 end of the adapter into the hose that's inside the item.
Then I tightened the little screw things and viola, my sand filter was up an running.

When I turned on the filter it leaked quite a bit.
So I took some white tape like stuff that's supposed to be for threading and wrapped it around the 1.25 ends of the adapters from amazon.
Then I reinserted the adapter into the hose that's in side the item and there were no more leaks.

As for the motor inside of the stock filter, I took it out and used the black disk that came with the pool to seal it. There is no leaking or drips from the bottom of the stock filter and I did nothing extra to seal it.
I removed all the insides of the stock filter.

Here's a picture of both the input (straight from the stock filter) and the output connection:
20160806_140613.jpg 20160806_140617.jpg

Here's the hose and a picture of the bottom of the stick filter where the black disc is:
20160806_140959.jpg 147050947717156.jpg

Hey ladies and gents, I had to register to give thanks for this thread. I've been putting off putting up my pool because I couldn't find a decent solution to this issue.

I believe I've come up with an even more elegant and simple solution than above. I used the good old Adapter B, some teflon paste and some 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 (they're not reducers, that's just the range they fit according to the package) couplers from Lowes. As above, I eliminated the pump, used the plug instead. Instead of using the smaller diameter hose, I used a plethora of teflon paste on the coupler, petroleum jelly on the pump side. Works like a champ and was cheap as well as I had the Adapter Bs from the previous pool.

summer_escapes_intex_pump_solution.jpg

2017 mid May put my pool up second year with Black Disk, This year Is a tinny drip 1 per minute. Why Polygroup does not make an attachment which is hard plastic with gasket to create a good seal I"ll never know. Running a pump with a paper filter is not to sanitary all summer long (my opinion?. I have 2800 sandfilter with Salt water system is the way I have set up. Lioking for UV

Have a great weekend.
Chris

I have tried these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hose-Conversion-Adapters-kit-for-Intex-1500gph-and-2500gph-pumps/148576388
And these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Hose-Adapter-B-GAME-1-1-4-mpt-x-1-1-2-mpt/510623323

And they are too small to fit over the factory parts on the Summer Waves pool. I made the mistake of filling the pool before researching and now I've got a 2,100 intex sand filter and nothing adapting. I'm honestly to the point of letting water run out and cutting out for the intex factory outlet the sand filter came with, but I don't know what I would do with the factory summer waves skimmer. Is this really that complicated?

Is there not just a part I can buy that will go over the factory Summer Waves parts to the Intex sand filter?

I have tried these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hose-Conversion-Adapters-kit-for-Intex-1500gph-and-2500gph-pumps/148576388
And these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Hose-Adapter-B-GAME-1-1-4-mpt-x-1-1-2-mpt/510623323

And they are too small to fit over the factory parts on the Summer Waves pool. I made the mistake of filling the pool before researching and now I've got a 2,100 intex sand filter and nothing adapting. I'm honestly to the point of letting water run out and cutting out for the intex factory outlet the sand filter came with, but I don't know what I would do with the factory summer waves skimmer. Is this really that complicated?

Is there not just a part I can buy that will go over the factory Summer Waves parts to the Intex sand filter?

I went through your same trouble last year when I changed from the cartridge filter to an intex sand filter. Had I known it would be such a PITA I would have just bought an intex brand pool from the start.

I decided to make my own system because I couldn't find any easy solution that I could buy on amazon. See my how to post below.

Summer Escapes 18'x48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.