Help!! About to give up after first test!

How long does it take to get an accurate reading after adding bleach. I added 2 96 oz bottles about 1 1/2 hrs ago. Tested again and FC is only 9. Should I add more tonight? Before I added it, FC was 4.

Yup, I added two instead of one. And I just went back out and added 2 quarts, 3 cups..something like that. I was just hoping the cover wasn't interfering w/my reading because it might not be circulating it as well ?. I still can't believe how much bleach we've went thru!

Okay. I need your help again! Here are some results.
FC 8.5
CC 1 (first time in days it's went up to 1!!!)
TA 300
CH 250

I added enough bleach this morning to raise to 12, obviously didn't work! AGAIN!

We're not testing the CYA until tomorrow or Wednesday. We added it Tuesday night and it fully dissolved on Wed. When do you suggest testing, tomorrow or Wed?

Well, "wait a week to test CYA" is more of a guideline than an actual rule. Testing today is probably fine.

The TA looks suspicious. I skimmed through all 4 pages of posts and it looks like the only previous test was in the very first one. The R-0009 reagent has been prone to static problems that make the drops too small, meaning you need more drops, meaning your test reads incorrectly high. Try repeating the TA test but wipe the tip with a damp cloth or tissue every couple of drops. Also eyeball the drops, make sure they look normal size. Squeeze gently, let the drop form naturally and fall off, no spitting/squirting.
--paulr

Need help! Here are updated test results. We retested the TA, think this is much more accurate.

FC 9.5
CC .5
TA 150
CH 250
PH 7.5
CYA 20

Here are my ?s, Do I raise shock level to 10 to match CYA chart? And do we need to add more CYA?

I really can't keep this up! Last night before bed FC was 10, this morning 7! It holds good during the day, where is it going at night?

I thought our numbers yesterday were pretty good. I keep thinking we're almost there, but don't know how to get it to hold overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys, I need your help one more time! Tell me what to do?

Tested FC tonight FC 7, CC 0. I'm out of bleach. I only have 1 96 oz bottle left. It's not enough to raise it up to shock level of 12. I have yet to hold 1 ppm overnight. I get somewhere like 2-3. Pool is perfectly clear. What would you do?

aimcahill said:
Guys, I need your help one more time! Tell me what to do?

Tested FC tonight FC 7, CC 0. I'm out of bleach. I only have 1 96 oz bottle left. It's not enough to raise it up to shock level of 12. I have yet to hold 1 ppm overnight. I get somewhere like 2-3. Pool is perfectly clear. What would you do?

Try not to get discouraged. :cry:

Toss in the last bottle, you'll get close. Wait 30 minutes, test again. Test in the morning, before the sun hits the pool. Don't test CC. Just FC. Let us know what the results are tomorrow.

I re-read thru the posts. It sounds to me like you are doing everything right, now...
You are brushing the pool while at shock level, all areas, etc...
You are leaving the cover off during the day...
You are following the testing instructions and using the pool calc correctly...

To put it perspective, you began "properly" shocking 1 week ago tomorrow night. Yes, you had started the weekend prior but you didn't have accurate testing and dosing methods, plus you were losing your FC to sunlight cause you had no CYA. So.... 1 to 1 and 1/2 weeks is not that long. I'm sure to you it seems like forever... I know that's not what you want to hear...but there are some who have shocked for weeks at a time before tackling the beast.

I think you are close - I really do. POP. More POP. I'm sorry I wish I had the magic answer for you. I can tell you are discouraged.

Thanks Frustratedpoolmom...I think I need to steal your name! Dumped Bleach in and already tested. I'll let you know tomorrow. We're supposed to be going out of town this weekend, which is another point of frustration. I don't want to go backwards from all of the work and money we've already spent.

Thanks again!

Okay....last night FC 12, this morining 10. I guess that's not too bad. I couldn't add anything this morning because....remember I'm out of bleach. Went and bought more this morning, but won't be able to add until tonight.

Once I finally make it (only loose 1ppm overnight), then what? I guess I never tought that far. Then am I just maintaining at the smaller #'s according to my CYA?

WOOO HOOOO, It finally held overnight! :party:

I am so happy and thankful for all of your help and patience w/my ?'s!

Now do I just need to test at night and maintain. My CYA was 20, but I"m trying to get it to 30-40. How do I decide how much to add at night (ex. FC 7?). I know if I'm having a swim party to go ahead and shock it, but just the everyday how do you find that perfect #. Now I'm hoping it will be easier, actually I "know" it will! I just don't know what to do tonight :shock: .

Plus I'm going out of town. I can get a neighbor to add bleach, but don't want them to have to test it every night.

and your cc's are .5 or less and water is clear right? you maintain by testing and adding however much bleach you need to raise it however many ppm's you need. if you test and it's 5ppm and you need to maintain 7ppm, add enough to raise 2ppm. you can use the pool calculator to figure out how much that is. you can raise to shock level before a swim party if you want, but raising it 2-3ppm will probably be fine. some people don't raise it at all. have the neighbor add about 2ppm per night.

YEAH :party: :whoot:

I agree, 1/2 a jug a nite ought to do it. Or a full jug every other nite - if it's staying covered?

You don't need to shock before a party. Raise it up 3-4 ppm before hand, test after it's over, if the FC is 0 bump it up rather high/or shock...if there is an "accident" shock....otherwise you should be o.k.

Enjoy your trouble free pool! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.