Help a new guy say no to the FROG system

Boogfj40

Jul 11, 2019
INDY
New guy here to the forum.

I just made a deposit on a new fiberglass pool and my PB offers the FROG automatic chlorine/mineral system that comes with his standard package.
After lurking here on the forum and informing myself on pool chemistry, I have made the determination that this system isn't for me. Since I’ve never owned a pool before, my question is this:

If I don’t want the FROG system installed, what do I have the PB put in place of it? Just a plain old chlorinator?
My plans are to use TFP as my chemistry guide.

Thanks for your help

You can see if he's willing to do a saltwater generator instead - can discuss with people here the right size to use given the size of the pool. The recommendation is to use a SWG that is rated for twice the volume of the pool.

Otherwise you could have a chlorinator that uses pucks put in and only use it when you go on vacation (it adds CYA and you don't want to be doing that on a regular basis - normal chlorination is either through a SWG or pouring in liquid chlorine daily).

Reactions: Boogfj40
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

As a former Frog user (came with the house) let me tell you that you are making the right choice. The best thing to put in its place would be a saltwater chlorine generator. Second best would be a tablet feeder for use while away. If you don't want an SWG now but think you might in the future then a couple feet of straight pipe that can be cut out to install an SWG one day would be a good option too.

Reactions: borjis and Boogfj40
Welcome to the forum!
As Dustin says, if for same price he will put in a SWCG, go for it. I doubt it, but worth a try!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

New guy here to the forum.

I just made a deposit on a new fiberglass pool and my PB offers the FROG automatic chlorine/mineral system that comes with his standard package.
After lurking here on the forum and informing myself on pool chemistry, I have made the determination that this system isn't for me. Since I’ve never owned a pool before, my question is this:

If I don’t want the FROG system installed, what do I have the PB put in place of it? Just a plain old chlorinator?
My plans are to use TFP as my chemistry guide.

Thanks for your help
Hi There,

I find myself in the same situation as you. I'm in the pool shopping process. We love the idea of the fiberglass pool but not sure about the other components. The one fiberglass dealer in my area is also recommending the FROG LEAP system, so I'm curious if you went with this or did you go another direction?

Thanks!

Nope, I told them to put in a basic old school tablet system. I saved a couple $100 bucks and purchased a RJ35 Salt water system. Currently using liquid chorine untilI find the time install it.

Stay away from the Frog!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.