Cintzy4

Jun 21, 2023
Mullica Hill, Nj
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When my husband and I moved into our house, the existing gunite pool was about 11-13 years old. Over the passed 7 years tiles began to pop off, coping became loose, and plaster had some darkened areas. We decided to renovate the pool November of 2022. We got new coping, tiles and plaster. We followed all of the renovaters instructions, brushing, keeping the pool open, hired professionals to close pool, and tested water until all chemicals were perfect. We opened the pool this year in May. Below the waterline, the walls of the plaster were covered in sharp crystals and our cleaning robot began to suck up an abundant amount of plaster dust. We called the renovaters and they told us it was scale and that our PH was high. Our water tests said the opposite. We bought the descaler anyway but it really didn't do much. We began to do some research of our own and found videos and articles of efflorescence and was wondering if it was that instead of scale.
Our pool company came out to sand and lightly acid wash the newly plastered pool. My question is if this is efflorescence and not scale, will the crystals and dust keep happening?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like it's time for your to take control of your pool. We can help. Be sure to test your own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Also see our Pool Care Basics page that contains many valuable articles to help you along the way. If you have any questions let us know.

Enjoy the forum. :swim: