Jmitchell4osu

Aug 26, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Hello everyone. My husband and I are about to break ground soon for our gunite backyard pool area. We would love to hear any advice you may have regarding any of the following. We are building a roughly 20X40 rectangle pool for grandkids and all family and would like to hear your thoughts on chlorine versus salt water pool. We are leaning toward chlorine at this time. It will have mostly 4ft-7ft areas with a "kiddie pool" area of 9" to 12" with blubblers. We plan to use this shelf area more for small grandchildren play-area, rather than tanning ledge. We also are looking at pebble sheen "ocean blue". We like cool blues, grays and are using silver travertine and snow white stacked stone for our accent wall that has sheer descents (do we need to be concerned about potential grime from water falls on light marble?). NE oklahoma's climate is changing; right now we get very hot summers 100-1 teens,. We get direct sun in the area from 11am to 5:00pm in summers. Going to make final decision about tile in the next few days. We are leaning toward a shimmery dark blue/glay glass 1x2'' tile. We love the popular blues, but would like to have something different. Thanks everyone in advance!

Salt water pools ARE chlorine pools. There is no difference except for the fact that pools built without salt water chlorine generators have to either be manually dosed every day with liquid chlorine OR you have to add trichlor pucks (stabilized chlorine tablets) to the pool. There are some very bad water chemistry issues that arise with the constant use of stabilized chlorine pucks that you can completely avoid by using an SWCG. And, on the positive side, salt water chlorine generators generate chlorine all the time (when the pump is running) making it very convenient.

I suggest you post ALL of the details of your pool and equipment in your next thread so that the guides and mods can have a look at it. It sounds like you’ve already signed a contract with a builder and, while it makes sense to think they are “experts” in pools, they are often very biased and uninformed about the details of pool water management. You see this most often with the pool builder TELLING YOU what THEY will build rather than building what YOU want. Your house, your property, your money … therefore YOUR pool.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes I'd hold the horses, even stable them for a bit. Hang around here and get bit educated as the pool building industry is not as beautiful, warm, and fuzzy as the hopes and dreams you have for yourself and the family.

Go salt, its much easier and nice on the skin. Nothing like the ocean but its a no brainer in my view.

I'd add get models of quoted brands also. Post it up here to see what is accurate, needed or not. Then you can use it to quote apples with apples.

welcome