Glen Carbon IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm Dave, new to the forum. I've been a pool professional since '98 and thought I'd join in, ask some questions, maybe even help answer some.

Hi Dave, welcome to TFP.. :shark:

I suggest that you take a read through our Pool School and see what we teach as far as balancing pool water chemicals. Our advice is usually very different than most pool stores and many pool professionals.... Basically we leave all the pool store "magic" potions on the shelf.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello Jim!

I'm beginning to see that things are taught a little differently here. I've read the Pool School and understand the whys and why nots. I may use some of the knowledge there, and I may not... for instance, I find that the thinking here on phosphate removers may not work for everyone. Some pool owners will not be able to maintain a proper Chlorine/CYA/algaecide balance to combat algae in the presence of phosphates. It will be much easier for them to use phosphate removers, with money not being a hinderence.

Just a quick thought as I don't see that side of things mentioned when I see the negatives of using phosphate removers.

We don't recommend the routine use of algaecides (esp.the cheap ones with copper, ugh!) because we figure if you keep your FC balanced properly against the CYA...why add an unnecessary chemical??

Northerners with long, long winters sometimes use it, and then we recommend using Polyquat 60 only.

Welcome to TFP, Diggy :) I dig the screen name.

Maddie 🐞

Welcome! :wave:

full

Hello woody, Texas, and Yippee.

I also try not to use algaecide on any pool, whether it's my own or a customer's. I've only had to use the basics in my pool.. salt, cya, muriatic really. Some customers insist on using things I wouldn't use on my own pool. If they are a routine service customer, I do things the way I always have unless situation dictates that I choose another route.

Customers want me to service once a week to get their pool looking for good for the weekend and keep their chemistry in check. At that point I'm basically handing the ball off to them, yet in many cases I'm quite certain that nothing is done in the meantime even if I'm counseling them on the fluctuations of pool chemistry in a week's time. Many of these people are very busy business owners who only want to come home and swim.. not be responsible for the health of their pool unfortunately.

While I completely agree that using the least amount of chems possible is ultimately the best way to approach a pool, that is a blanket statement.. does not always apply when chemistry testing/balancing is not a part of an owners routine.