Gold Supporter
May 10, 2019
Winchester, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all. I found this forum a few weeks ago and have been reading, learning and trying to not get "pool stored". There is so much information I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose lol. I subscribed to the app and am currently reading the ebook. I have to say, this forum is very refreshing in many ways. There is no flaming people for mistakes, opinions, or differing views. Not to mention the overwhelming support when an owner is having a pool crisis. Kudos to everyone in this community!

Our pool was finished 4/4/19 and the builder did the startup, we brushed and brushed and brushed some more. They gave us a basic pool school on how to operate the equipment and basic pool care. We are scheduled to start up the SWG in a week or two and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly so there are no problems transitioning. Here are my numbers from yesterdays test:
Temp: 76
FC 4.5
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 270
CYA 55
CSI -0.32

I have to admit the builder has been having us use tabs but I'm trying source the correct bleach as soon as possible. Any thoughts/advice? I feel like I'm not doing something I should be doing. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1275.jpgIMG_1282.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
A proper test kit with a Speedstir! Wonderful.
Your test results look great. I would stop with the trichlor tablets soon as your CYA is getting close to where you want it for your SWCG. Let what you have in there dissolve away and then plan to use liquid chlorine until you start your SWCG.
What model is your SWCG? I hope a 1400.
Be sure the mineral cartridge is removed from the Nature 2.
When your pH reaches 8 only lower it to 7.6 from now on.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks. The Nature2 cartridge is not installed and after all the reading here I won't allow the builder to install it when they startup the SWG. I have read the ABC's and just started the ebook. The SWG and Nature2 are 1 unit. Model: FSOFT1400. Thankfully I found this forum before I totally jacked up our pool water. My son's graduation party is in a couple weeks and the boss has put me on notice that the water needs to be "sparkly" for the party. lol

Welcome to the forum!
A proper test kit with a Speedstir! Wonderful.
Your test results look great. I would stop with the trichlor tablets soon as your CYA is getting close to where you want it for your SWCG. Let what you have in there dissolve away and then plan to use liquid chlorine until you start your SWCG.
What model is your SWCG? I hope a 1400.
Be sure the mineral cartridge is removed from the Nature 2.
When your pH reaches 8 only lower it to 7.6 from now on.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Why a pH 7.6 versus 7.4?

Less pressure on your TA. And unless your fill water is high in TA and CH, your CSI will be better at that level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we got our actual date for the SWCG startup. Thursday June 6th. I have been trying to keep the numbers according to the non-SWCG list until then.
Current numbers:
FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 270
CYA 60
Salt 600
CSI -.06
Temp 78
I'm planning on getting the TA down to 70 in the next day or 2 (work is getting in the way of the important things).
My questions are:
When do I raise the CYA and CH before or after the salt?
I read that the SWCG shouldn't be turned on for 24 hrs after the salt is installed. What if the PB contractor fires it up right away?
Can anyone give me a heads up on any myths that the PB is going to try to feed me during this process?
I will be onsite the entire time they are doing the startup. My son's graduation party is 2 days later and I don't want any problems. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't touch CH unless your fill water is real low CH. Ch will increase over time with evaporation and top off. Leave TA where it's at as well. It will drop as you add MA to compensate for the added aeration of the SWG. You should find your TA/pH sweet spot after adjusting in the coming weeks. Your CSI look real good right now.

You can add salt anytime before the SWG is installed. No reason to wait until the SWG is in (unless you have second thoughts about adding the SWG). Take a peek at what your SWG salt level will do to your CSI.

Good luck!

I wouldn't touch CH unless your fill water is real low CH. Ch will increase over time with evaporation and top off. Leave TA where it's at as well. It will drop as you add MA to compensate for the added aeration of the SWG. You should find your TA/pH sweet spot after adjusting in the coming weeks. Your CSI look real good right now.

You can add salt anytime before the SWG is installed. No reason to wait until the SWG is in (unless you have second thoughts about adding the SWG). Take a peek at what your SWG salt level will do to your CSI.

Good luck!
Thanks, the SWG is installed and the PB is bringing the first round of salt on 6/4 and giving us a SWCG pool school. What about CYA? When do I bring that level up?

The PB put salt in the pool on 6/6 and told us the target is 2500-3500 and when I tested the salt today it was 3600 and the controller shows 3900. Is it safe to fire up the SWCG or do I need to drain some water and refill. My numbers from today's testing are in my profile. Please advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.