Hello my name is markymarks and I have a problem

The line that is not connected is the dump side. That is where the water exits if in waste, backflush or rinse.

I'm concerned about the lack of pressure rise as well. I don't know how to test if the filter is in recirculate vs filter.

Well, I'd put a cup of DE slurry (mix with water) in the skimmer. Watch for the return...if in 5-10 seconds it's cloudy milky white coming back thru the return into the pool.......then you are circulating and not filtering. A guess: Perhaps the multiport valve is busted and/or stuck in Recirculate position??? I would try to move the valve to all 6 positions, work it a bit, clockwise and CCW...and see if it comes free. Does it feel like it's binding when you move it? I know I was experimenting once with recirculate mode in my Spa....andded DE and I could see milky white water returning to the main body fo water in the Spa... It's no big deal....when it gets filtered (with a properly working filter that is ;) ) it just stays in the filter. DE can be used to enhance the filtration efficiency of a sand filter, trapping smaller particles than sand alone can.

OK. Good to know it looks like a classic case. I appreciate the help just becoming wary that it is algae as after a little of clearing up, the pool does not seem to be clearing up at all in last 2+ days. Wanting to use the pool and not sure if we should later this week with it warming up.

I would have to get some DE to do that with as we don't have any and try that. Valve is brand new this season. It cracked on the pump inlet side towards the end of last year so I replaced it. However last year, I don't ever recall the pressure rising much. After a vacuum when I would back flush, the water would be dirty so it was collecting something...

Would a lack of sand cause the pressure to not rise enough? I can not find any info on the Sand Dollar or Cristal-Flo for how much sand should be in the filter but for the Tagelus which I think is bigger it wants sand to 7.75" of the top for the smallest size. When deep cleaning the filter I did not measure the height to the top of the sand for an exact number but it was more than 10 inches down.

Last edited:
DE online or at your local pool store. I usually buy 25-pound box, $12-15...with a sand filter it'll last forever. There is a handle on the top of the black multiport valve, mounted on the top of the tan-colored filter. Like I said: IF the filter is "stuck" in recirculation mode....in that it's either in the wrong position or broken, by adding DE to the skimmer it should return to the pool like a white milky stream for a few seconds. pay close attention when you add DE....only 3-4 ounces in a slurry. On the multiport valve...A white ring outside the handle has words on it, like Waste/Recirculate/Backwash/Closed/Rinse. Please post a picture of the top of the multiport valve...looking straight down from above the handle. You have to move the handle to change the mode of the filter by pressing down on the end of the handle and rotating the multiport valve position. It locks in place in one of (usually) six spots. If it is not in the normal Filter mode, there is the problem.

mmcwhorter, I will go get some after work today and try the DE. Valve is in the Filter position. See picture.

JoeSelf, Thank you. Hose is marked for the end that goes to the vacuum and we have always used it that way.

Wobblerlorri, Thank you. I do!

Filter Valve 2.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, thoughts on moving filter for storage? Since my pool items are older I took them apart and was able to store them in a non-climate controlled building. Would moving the filter off its base, onto a moving cart and into the building be an issue?

Other than emptying the sand is there any way to find out if the horizontal fingers are broken? Would that contribute to a filter not filtering?

What about if using less sand than I should be?

Trying to theorize and get back to more reliable setup. Prior home/pool owner did not keep up with maintenance in the last few years of owning the home so I am slowly catching up on things and pools are not something I know a lot about other than how to enjoy.

Got some DE and was doing little amounts and thinking it was staying in the filter even though pressure never really went up. Decided to do a thicker slurry and try to recirculate. White cloud came out the return. Then tried about same thickness on filter and then got a white cloud out the return...

water seems a bit clearer but was hoping the DE would stick and help filter out the algae more.

Also tried working the valve around and there was one spot it was a little stiff. Ur kept going one direction and it loosened up. Every time going between settings though water was pouring out the wastw port. Every time I lifted the valve to change positions it would start Flowing out the waste. When in filter or recirculate it would not. No I was not changing positions with the pump running.

Last edited:
DE was pushing right through in both modes for me.

This morning had slivers of what I believe is plastic in the skimmer. I cleaned the water line with a brush last night and loosened the return eye because it was on so tight I could not loosen it. Ran the pump with it in several orientations and with it off to see what the motion of the water was. Maybe these were in the return plumbing. The one picture is with them clumped up with cottonwood...No idea where these came from.

Attachments

• 6F6076A4-5199-4D6D-8F99-A6D8EBCAB6BE.jpeg
    6F6076A4-5199-4D6D-8F99-A6D8EBCAB6BE.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3BB6C36D-1FCA-4C9D-AB2D-D23A769FB7BA.jpeg
    3BB6C36D-1FCA-4C9D-AB2D-D23A769FB7BA.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm not clear on what you did...Do not run DE into the skimmer in recirculate mode. For sure it will come back. If a cloud of DE is seen coming out the returns in FILTER mode.....you are not filtering. Hate to say it but in this case you either need to repair the filter or get a new one. The cost to hire someone to repair it, might as well buy one brand new. In this case, you are throwing good money after bad.

I ran it in recirculate mode so I could see the cloud. Then put it DE in the slimmer in filter mode and cloud came out the return.

Next step is to take apart the filter valve and see if it is intact inside. The 2 changes at the start of the year to equipment were a new pump and new filter valve. Pump was old and base was rusted mostly away. We were left a new one. End of Last summer the filter valve started to leak so that was replaced this year with a new one.

got it, and so the filter mystery continues....but for now it sure it sounds like decent water filtering is not happening. I assume you passed the SLAM OCLT. It did not seem like to me that was the bigger of the two problems. If so, bring the levels down as keeping FC high for too long is not a good thing for your equipment.

I think I figured it out. Kept the old multi port valve just in case. Took it out of the box and noticed a piece of PVC sticking out of the base of the valve. I didn’t add that when I replaced the valve. So had some around cut it to size and installed it into the new valve. While I was dealing with that we deep cleaned the filter again and a ton came out of it. As soon as I got it all back together, the pressure was up 1 psi. Ended up putting way more DE in it than I expected I would need to for pressure to go up 1 more PSI. Pool started clearing up almost immediately and now 6 hours later pool is clearing up very nicely. One nice part of a small pool is it turns over the water quickly.

So this is on me for replacing the valve and not thinking the PVC was needed or not noticing the PVC.

Off to vacuum it up and hopefully be swimming tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the help guys. This has been so much appreciated. Not sure how long I would have been fighting this without your ideas and thought starters.

Attachments

• FCCC5D9A-25CD-4851-8BDE-10B2FF30FA10.jpeg
    FCCC5D9A-25CD-4851-8BDE-10B2FF30FA10.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.