Apr 20, 2022
Wenatchee, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everybody!

My fiance and I just bought our first house and it happened to include our first pool. We thought it was a hopeless swamp until I discovered this lovely forum, and then we realized our situation could be much worse! Some of the recoveries I've read about on here are incredible, and I can say this site has brought new hope to two nervous first timers! I tend to be a bit long winded on forums, so good luck! :)

Unsure about the condition of everything we did have our local pool store come by and turn everything on for the first time yesterday. This house was a flip, and the pool hadn't been run in presumably at least two years. It had been winterized, but not very well. The short version is the return line wasn't plugged, we don't know if the water level rose above the line because of snow melt or not enough draining in the fall, there is a bed of leaves on the bottom, and until yesterday a small algae party beginning.

Trying to backwash the filter for the first time on our own last night, the rinse phase blew the waste line apart at an elbow. Looking at the joint, it looks like it was destined to fail judging by the gunk already inside the joint, and the fact that the cut on pipe section was angled and jagged. I'm no PVC expert though! (Barely a novice, actually)

All that to say, there's still some leaves (and a cinder block...) to pull from the bottom, our swamp is now more grey/blue than green, we have some work to do, but your site is amazing! (I'll post a pic of the beginning swamp if I figure out how)

Welcome aboard Jacoso! You've come to the right place :)

What in the world were they thinking to toss a cinder block in a pool, you've got to wonder, huh?

To insert a pic use the icon immediately to the left of the "smiley face" icon above on the reply. We ❤️ pics!

Maddie 🇺🇦

Thank you for the welcomes! I'll give the previous owner an ounce of credit, the pool was covered with tarps held in place by cinder blocks on the deck. I theorize that when the snow melt dragged the tarps down it pulled a block in, but I have read on here about people finding junk intentionally thrown in!

While it is 50 degrees out, raining, and with daily temps only in the 40s lately, I can report the block is out of the pool! A hot shower has never felt so good. Here is what it looked like to start with, what it looks like now, and the busted PVC connection.
IMG_20220417_122726949_HDR.jpgIMG_20220420_181028298_HDR.jpgIMG_20220419_192245083.jpg