Hello from Phoenix - Pad Rebuild

Dawagonbus

Feb 13, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Planning on some equipment changes in the next couple weeks. My 30inch Hayward sand filter has a crack in the lip and the MPV also has cracks at the base and has been leaking for a few months. Spring is coming and I need to get a new filter. I've done a lot of research and have decided on the Pentair Quad 100 with no backwash valve. I just plan on cleaning off the filters 2-3/yr.
I really like the idea of the "hybrid" filter and moving up from sand(which I thought always did a really good job) to DE should improve the water clarity even more.
I'm also installing a Hayward Ecostar 3400 vsp 2hp. Don't beat me up too much over that!!! I picked it up used and pretty cheap.......and long before I did any research:(........ and after everything I've read I think I know why it was so inexpensive!! However, it's a 2018 model and there is some thought that the motor drive issues were fixed by then??
In any case, I thought I'd give it a try since I'm already out the cash and if it doesn't work out I'll swap it out for something more reliable. I'm doing the installations myself... so no labor costs.

My goal is to also replace some of the aging, sun damaged pipework and try to figure out what one of the valves does. I'm also thinking of installing a Flowmeter and was wondering how helpful they are in figuring out what speed you need your pump to be running at.
I bought the house with the pipe work just as you see. Any thoughts on how to clean it up some? Maybe it can't be done without a ton of work...
pool plumbing1.jpg
pool plumbing2.jpg
pool plumbing3.jpg
pool plumbing4.jpg
pool plumbing5.jpg
pool plumbing6.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
LOL, I wish I had heard of that before just to give it a try! However at this time I've decided to go with the Pentair Quad De 100 for a couple reasons, to get the better filtering of the fine dust that seems to be everywhere in the Phoenix area and to get some more space on the pad for the larger VS pump I have.
The Hayward sand filter is 30 in wide and the Pentair DE is 21 in. You can see how much more room I'll have by looking at the first pic in the first post...

Last edited:
I did some valve turning and I think I figured out the two valves in pic #4 above...... NOT the the two red handled gate valves on the right.....They are suction...the left gate valve is from the skimmer (that also has the main drain coming up into the bottom with the flying saucer thing over it), the right gate valve is from the spa drain.

The Red Gate Valve on the far left of the #4 pic seems to run water to the four spa returns and the black Jandy valve right next to it controls water to the spa check valve. When that Jandy valve is opened water comes out of the check valve at high flow.

When I close the Red Gate Valve for the spa returns the flow diminishes but doesn't fully stop....I'm guessing it broken?

Both will get replaced but I'm wondering if a Valve is even needed on the Spa check valve line?

also to be replaced are the two suction side Gate Valves with two way Jandy valves.

Any other suggestions from folks who have replaced pool equipment and replumbed/reconfigured their pads would be helpful. I know I have to keep the order of Pump - Filter - Heater - Sanitizer - Pool.......but I have:
1) Pump - Filter - Sanitizer - Pool or
2) Pump - Filter - Solar Panels - Sanitizer - Pool or
3) Pump - Filter - Solar Panels - Heater - Spa and finally
4) Pump - Filter - Solar Panels - then both 2 and 3 from above......, if the three way valve allows the water to go both to the Sanitizer for the pool and also the Heater for a return to the spa.

Kind of a screwy set up but possibly all that could be done easily when the solar panels were installed. We never use the spa for very long(30 -90 min) and once we're out I just move the three way valve back tot he middle so the spa water starts to mix with sanitized water and it all spills into the pool anyways. Never had any issues but seems label intensive. Id like to see how it could be fixed but I certainly don't have the vision to see a different layout out. I can do all the work, no problem but the vision of a possible new layout get really confusing when I start to think about it.... Any suggestions would be great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.