Jun 18, 2020
Phoenixville PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years and had an in-ground pool me entire life, all while working as a lifeguard/WSI/Manager of a pool. While I am very familiar witth chlorine etc, I have ZERO clue how to keep my own pool crystal clear. I just purchased an intex-32ft-x-16ft-x-52in-ultra-xtr-rectangular-pool-set-sand-filter-pump and have no idea where to start with how to open/maintain the chemicals. I was approached and told to buy the Perma Salt System and because I research everthing, I found this forum. Salt vs Chlorine and where do I begin.

-A knowledgeable pool girl, with ZERO knowledge :)

Permasalt is a gimmick. It uses metal ions to keep algae away but they don't work fast enough to kill bacteria and such to prevent person-to-person spread. And the metals will build and can stain the pool and turn swimmer's hair and nails green. More here.

A salt pool is a chlorine pool. Except instead of generating Sodium Hypochlorite in a big plant, bottling it up and hauling it all over so you can buy it, bring it home, carry it in, and pour it in the pool, it's created onsite. Right there between the filter and the pool. Same process just on a smaller scale.

You've probably already been reading in pool school. If not, start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you understand our strange language.

Reactions: nantucker22
Permasalt is a gimmick. It uses metal ions to keep algae away but they don't work fast enough to kill bacteria and such to prevent person-to-person spread. And the metals will build and can stain the pool and turn swimmer's hair and nails green. More here.

A salt pool is a chlorine pool. Except instead of generating Sodium Hypochlorite in a big plant, bottling it up and hauling it all over so you can buy it, bring it home, carry it in, and pour it in the pool, it's created onsite. Right there between the filter and the pool. Same process just on a smaller scale.

You've probably already been reading in pool school. If not, start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you understand our strange language.
I have been reading A TON...this is a fantastic forum and being that I am starting pretty much from scratch...I'm excited to gain more knowledge :)

Thanks! SO my first question is, I am looking to buy the TF-100 bundle- should i just do the one without the SLAM kit or spend the extra and get the XL option in case an issue arises?>
Get the XL. Those two reagents are the ones you won't be able to find locally should you need more in a hurry. And you will likely burn through a lot of them initially because we all tested incessantly when we first got our playset.

Get the XL. Those two reagents are the ones you won't be able to find locally should you need more in a hurry. And you will likely burn through a lot of them initially because we all tested incessantly when we first got our playset.

I figured as spending a little but more...just in case....is always better than not having it in a pinch. Appreciate the feedback