Hello from Oklahoma

Well let me tell you my water has been giving me a terrible time for about the past 3 summers now. Short of filling in my pool with dirt, I've tried everything. I have been the care-taker since 2006. I thought I had it all figured out. I have changed pumps thinking a previous pump wasn't strong enough due to the attached spa, drained my pool three times, and tried numerous different chemical tactics. The water continually clouds up and turns green. My CYA was (until I drained a week ago) at 140, which is high. My FC levels are now at 2ppm and ph is 7.2. I am not showing any CYA at the moment. I am using up some 3in tablets tha I've had left over thinking that that may slowly bring my CYA up some. I have added 1lb of stabilizer to get started. I'm wondering if the plaster is needing a good acid wash to strip anything that could be causing issues??? Thoughts??? And thank you!

Hi there Lindsi, welcome to TFP.

Right off the bat after reading your problems, I realize your biggest problem is lack of *proper* test kit. We expect a lot from our test kits (accuracy, reproducability, ease of use, etc) so we only endorse two on the market.

The TF-100 (my favorite, and by far a favorite here at TFP) and the Taylor K2006C (that C part is important when comparing kits). Both can be found at Amazon, PoolsupplyWorld.com or TFTestkits.net

Get one of those and you're your way to clear sparkly water. You'll save money by NOT buying expensive, overprices pool chemicals or putting things in your pool that are entirely wrong for the problem. You will start loving your pool again and forgetting you ever thought of filling it in with dirt!!

I promise.

Maddie :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

From your description, the pool has not had adequate chlorine to keep algae at bay. CYA and FC need to be kept in the proper ratio for chlorine to keep the pool clear, as seen in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You don't need to scrub your pool, but you do need a good high quality FAS/DPD test kit like Yippie mentioned in her post. These test kits allow you to test very high levels of FC needed to complete the SLAM Process process to clear your pool. Once you have your test kit, you can start to take control of your pool.

It is best to add CYA and only CYA when it is needed, and not rely on chlorine pucks. The problem with chlorine pucks is that while they do provide FC and CYA, FC gets consumed and CYA does not. It continues to build up in the pool. The higher the CYA value is the more FC you need to keep the pool clear. As the CYA continues to rise maintaining the correct CYA/FC ratio becomes difficult. We recommend using liquid chlorine, either from the pool store or plain, unscented bleach from the grocery store. The only difference between the two is the strength. Bleach is usually 8% while pool store liquid chlorine is 10-12% strength.

The TFP method we teach is not the standard advice you will get at the pool store, but it is based in science and chemistry knowledge and it works. We can teach you how to clear your pool and keep it clear if you would like. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Lindsi, I am going to share a link with you. I want you to play around with it. There is a learning curve to it so take it slow and ask LOTS of questions.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Make sure to go down towards the bottom and set it to Trouble Free Pool setting.

I am also going to share a link for you to read and refer to so you can start to learn our "language" :

TFPC for Beginners

The next thing for you to do is take and share a pic looking down into the pool at the steps. That will let us know how bad the algae is.

From now on you will only be using liquid chlorine in your pool. No more "shock" unless it is higher level liquid chlorine.

Look around your area. Do you have a pool store that sells liquid chlorine? If not then you can use bleach :shock: it is the same thing as chlorine. Just make sure it is plain bleach. No pretty smells or splashless stuff. Some Walmarts still have liquid chlorine in their pool area. Just make sure to check the date codes (link to how to read it: Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength. ) You do not want it to be older than 3 months as bleach degrades over time.

I know this might seem overwhelming right now. Take it slow and ask LOTS of questions! We LOVE to teach new people how to care for their pools! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Until the test kit arrives add a large jug of plain, unscented bleach once a day and run the pump around 30 minutes after to keep things in a holding pattern for now. Once the kit arrives perform a full set of tests and post the results in this thread. Then we will use the test results to help you start your slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhhhhhhh but once you get your kit and we get your water dialed in it will be purrfect and oh so easy to keep that way!

I bet you start to see it clear up while you are waiting on the kit if you put in a jug of chlorine a day. If you want it to be extra "helpful" you can put it in after the sun is off the pool for the day. That way only the algae is using up the FC (free chlorine) without the sun taking any.

:hug: you will love your pool when we are done with it!

Make sure to brush it at least once a day to get that dead stuff up and out of the water. Do you have a vacuum? You can vacuum real slow and get most of it up as well. I would think about putting it to waste. Just keep an eye on your water level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support