Hello From Oklahoma....in the deciding to build a pool stage

Sharpokie

Sep 16, 2021
Broken Arrow, OK
Hi, we are considering building a pool. Just now at the stage of determining size, design, features, etc that we would want. We have not even contacted companies for quotes yet. Due to all of the delays I hear about and supply chain issues, I am very curious about the experiences of those who've built a pool in the last several months. How long from contract to finishing pool? How much more do pools cost (on average) than they may have cost two years ago? Any secrets to getting a pool done sooner than average these days?
We lean towards gunite, probably 20x40 ish, hot tub, water features.
I've been reading this forum for a few months now. I have learned alot! :)

I am very curious about the experiences of those who've built a pool in the last several months. How long from contract to finishing pool? How much more do pools cost (on average) than they may have cost two years ago?
Suggest you go over to the construction forum and research or follow some of the current projects in process. Prices vary by area so hard to gauge specifics other then you need to get 3 bids and compare. Try to spec out the same pool dimensions, features, equipment, plaster, etc. to allow you to compare apples to apples.

Also, construction times vary by area, some are waiting several months just to start after signing the contract. Others are in the middle and now have delays due to lack of equipment, coping or plaster availability.

In general prices are up for construction but also equipment is still in high demand with inventory levels low. You can see where PBs are quoting equipment, coping, etc. that they have direct access to months ago but are now substituting when they get to that point of the process because of mfg. delays, shipping delays, lack of inventory, etc.

If the bids you get now are outside your budget then probably best to wait to 2022 to see if it levels out.

The cost is almost 2 times what it cost 2 years ago.. If you can get someone to come out and give you a quote count yourself in the lucky column.. still try to get 3 quotes if you can.. It is a REALLY slow process now and so far is not getting better or faster.. Some are overpaying to get it done faster..

You are in OK so I would recommend a stand alone hot tub that you can actually use in the winter as they are made for it.. once you winterize you will not be able to use the spa and that is exactly when you would want to use it.. :)

The cost is almost 2 times what it cost 2 years ago.. If you can get someone to come out and give you a quote count yourself in the lucky column.. still try to get 3 quotes if you can.. It is a REALLY slow process now and so far is not getting better or faster.. Some are overpaying to get it done faster..

You are in OK so I would recommend a stand alone hot tub that you can actually use in the winter as they are made for it.. once you winterize you will not be able to use the spa and that is exactly when you would want to use it.. :)
Thanks for your suggestions. I have weighed in my mind to hold off and see if things settle down versus getting in the queue and knowing it will take a while! I will not be one to overpay to get further up in line, however. That doesn't make sense for us. I'd rather wait than do that.
And I appreciate your view on the spa.....we will take that all into consideration.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Suggest you go over to the construction forum and research or follow some of the current projects in process. Prices vary by area so hard to gauge specifics other then you need to get 3 bids and compare. Try to spec out the same pool dimensions, features, equipment, plaster, etc. to allow you to compare apples to apples.

Also, construction times vary by area, some are waiting several months just to start after signing the contract. Others are in the middle and now have delays due to lack of equipment, coping or plaster availability.

In general prices are up for construction but also equipment is still in high demand with inventory levels low. You can see where PBs are quoting equipment, coping, etc. that they have direct access to months ago but are now substituting when they get to that point of the process because of mfg. delays, shipping delays, lack of inventory, etc.

If the bids you get now are outside your budget then probably best to wait to 2022 to see if it levels out.
Thank you for your thoughts and insight. That is seriously one of the hardest things to determine....cost. I've been researching for over a year and costs seem to vary greatly by area. I suppose getting our 3 quotes will be the only way to truly understand the cost...especially these days.
I am totally weighing the options of moving forward knowing it will take much time vs. Just waiting out the supply and economy issues before getting serious about building.
Thanks again!

Thank you for your thoughts and insight. That is seriously one of the hardest things to determine....cost. I've been researching for over a year and costs seem to vary greatly by area. I suppose getting our 3 quotes will be the only way to truly understand the cost...especially these days.
I am totally weighing the options of moving forward knowing it will take much time vs. Just waiting out the supply and economy issues before getting serious about building.
Thanks again!
I think you need to rationalize this similar to the housing market. The pool builders are in a "Seller's Market". They can set any price they wish and I don't really think it matters if they quote you 6 mos or 12 mos. Once you sign the contract, they got you locked in as it is hard for another PB to pick up some other PB's work in progress. the best advice is to research your neighborhood forums and BBB to determine who are the better PB in your area. Look for someone with 10 yrs experience and willing to provide you references to work they have done and pools you can view. All of that leads to a good communication process with your PB.

Also, an important point - try to find a PB willing to accept the final payment (5 -10%) AFTER all the work has been done, the pool is filled and equipment is operating. If you give up all your money before work is done, you have no leverage to get the final punch list completed.

Once you get 3-4 bids then post the details on the forum for feedback.

I think you need to rationalize this similar to the housing market. The pool builders are in a "Seller's Market". They can set any price they wish and I don't really think it matters if they quote you 6 mos or 12 mos. Once you sign the contract, they got you locked in as it is hard for another PB to pick up some other PB's work in progress. the best advice is to research your neighborhood forums and BBB to determine who are the better PB in your area. Look for someone with 10 yrs experience and willing to provide you references to work they have done and pools you can view. All of that leads to a good communication process with your PB.

Also, an important point - try to find a PB willing to accept the final payment (5 -10%) AFTER all the work has been done, the pool is filled and equipment is operating. If you give up all your money before work is done, you have no leverage to get the final punch list completed.

Once you get 3-4 bids then post the details on the forum for feedback.
Thank you for this advice! Yes, I figure if we move forward now, we will pay more than if things settle out and get out of the "seller's market". We certainly will take the advice on PBs. We have a few in mind that neighbors and others have used. When we get that far (hopefully sooner rather than later), I will certainly post the bids!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks again!
I would recommend the 3 quotes just as a gauge. Our neighbors had a pool installed in 2019 (before COVID) and a planned 4 month job turned into about a year. Granted, it's a HUGE pool (like you would see on Megapools or Epic Pools TV shows) but that's what they do, and for it to take 3 times they were quoted...I would not be impressed.

I would also make sure they have the equipment you want IN STOCK. There are supply shortages across the board and pool equipment is no exception.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support