AEDodge

Apr 6, 2022
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone! Pool owner for 3 years now and have been maintaining my pool on my own. However, not very well. I have grown to hate my pool but that is my own doing. I was using Leslie's for testing but this year I bought Taylor K-2006 kit and plan to move away from Clorine tabs and use liquid. I kept having to drain my pool because of high CYA. Another reason I grew to hate my pool.
Anyways, I look forward to learning from you great people and when I get smarter, passing the knowledge on to the next frustrated person.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
AE,

While lugging Liquid Chlorine works, I suggest that you look into upgrading to a saltwater pool.

Instead of pouring chlorine out of a jug, you just let the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) make all the chlorine that your pool needs each day.

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn how to maintain your own swimming pool. :shark:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thank you for the welcome!

I have thought about converting to salt and my wife really wants to do it. I just haven't researched it enough to be comfortable pulling that trigger.

AE,

I just noticed your signature. What is an above ground gunite pool? Sounds different.

I have three saltwater pools and I'd just as soon fill them in with dirt as have them not be saltwater pools. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

AE,

I just noticed your signature. What is an above ground gunite pool? Sounds different.

I have three saltwater pools and I'd just as soon fill them in with dirt as have them not be saltwater pools. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sorry, messed that up. It is an in-ground pool. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I have made the "fill with dirt" threat many times the past few years.😂

Once you learn the basics, maintaining your pool is really easy. I’d also HIGHLY recommend moving to a salt water chlorine generator. I spend a max of 15 minutes per week testing and adding muratic acid to control my pH. Other than that, it’s scooping up the occasional (or frequent) leaf, emptying the skimmer baskets and brushing, all of which are as-needed. You took the first step by getting a good test kit. You’ll soon figure out that the only regular tests that you need are chlorine and pH. The others don’t change frequently, so once you get them to the right levels, they stay there for awhile. And with a SWCG, even the chlorine test is just to verify that levels are where they should be - very little variance unless conditions change. Like you, I really didn’t know what I was doing for the first few years, but once I found this site, I started to understand what was going on with my pool. That understanding is very liberating! Follow the advice on this forum and you’ll be there by the end of the summer or sooner.