Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello from southeast Georgia. I recently purchased a home with a pool (first time), and plan on maintaining it myself. Quick overview of my setup below:
Pool: Blue Hawaiian “Deep Lagoon”
Dimensions: 15’x32’x8’ deep
Volume: estimate approximately 19,800 G
Aqua logic AQL-P-4
T-Cell-15 by optimum
STA-RITE PLM 150
STA-RITE supermax 1.5HP pump
Solar heating

Current levels using TF-PRO
FC: 4 ppm
CC: .5
TC: 4.5
CH: 275
TA: 70
CYA:30
PH: 8.1
Pool calculator suggested some what seems like large amounts of chemicals to me (granted that’s based on no experience). Wanted to make sure I’m not about to dump 7 pounds of stabilizer in and ruin something! Looking forward to learning as much as possible.

Pool Math is using the ranges for the FC/CYA Levels. A SWCG puts out a small amount of chlorine every minute of operation. The goal is to replace the FC you are losing to UV and bather load. So with a higher CYA (Stabilizer) it will give more protection to your SWCG FC output. If you have full sun all day then you should consider raising the CYA. You can test your FC over a couple of days to determine if your SWCG is keeping up with the losses.
If you do raise CYA, do it in stages as you do NOT want to overshoot. There is a sock method to hang the granular stablizer in front of your pool return to help it dissolve. Do not add the granulars directly to the pool.
It may take 24-36 hrs for CYA to register changes on your test so if you are targeting 7 lbs - put 3 in now and test again in 36 hrs. Then do it again.
Also, suggest to run pump full time while trying to dissolve the stabilizer but it can be run on a low speed - you want constant circulation.

Reactions: Number59
Pool Math is using the ranges for the FC/CYA Levels. A SWCG puts out a small amount of chlorine every minute of operation. The goal is to replace the FC you are losing to UV and bather load. So with a higher CYA (Stabilizer) it will give more protection to your SWCG FC output. If you have full sun all day then you should consider raising the CYA. You can test your FC over a couple of days to determine if your SWCG is keeping up with the losses.
If you do raise CYA, do it in stages as you do NOT want to overshoot. There is a sock method to hang the granular stablizer in front of your pool return to help it dissolve. Do not add the granulars directly to the pool.
It may take 24-36 hrs for CYA to register changes on your test so if you are targeting 7 lbs - put 3 in now and test again in 36 hrs. Then do it again.
Also, suggest to run pump full time while trying to dissolve the stabilizer but it can be run on a low speed - you want constant circulation.
Thank you I will dig into the sock method!

Pool: Blue Hawaiian “Deep Lagoon”
Dimensions: 15’x32’x8’ deep
Volume: estimate approximately 19,800 G
Aqua logic AQL-P-4
T-Cell-15 by optimum
STA-RITE PLM 150
STA-RITE supermax 1.5HP pump
Solar heating

Welcome, @Number59 ! :)

You have already received guidance from the pros to get you started on you way to self-sufficiency. I will just add that when you get a chance, consider adding the description of your setup to your Signature, which will aid the experts to quickly tailor responses to your pool and equipment, and you won't need to repeat it in future posts.

Enjoy! :paddle:

Reactions: HermanTX
Hey, Number59... I'm not too far from Savannah, so it looks like we're "neighbors". I'm a beginner too, and also new here at TFP.

In June, we put up an 18ft aboveground that we're calling our first "real" pool. It's only about 1/3 the size of yours (6400gal), but it has certainly lead to some serious frustration over the last 2 months due to equipment failures.

In my case, I'm learning that the heat, and a constant barrage of pine straw and other debris from nearby trees are the biggest ongoing challenge I face in maintaining our pool chemistry.

I'm not very confident yet in my ability to read & interpret the results I get from test strips, so I've been taking sasmples to our local pool supply store for testing.

There are lots of pool calculators available, but If no one else has suggested it yet, I recommend you checkout TFP's "POOL MATH" app. The paid version is a deal at only $8 per year ($0.67 /month), and it lets me quickly & easily log and interpret test results and keep notes for future reference. It also sends me maintenance reminders that I can set to match my needs.
Best of luck!,
- Lucky