Hello from Dripping Springs, Texas

momika27

Jul 27, 2020
Austin, TX
My husband, daughter and I (and two dogs) live on 5 acres in Dripping Springs, Texas which is about 30 minutes west of Austin. We are in the process of building our pool with a pool cabana. They just finished the Shotcrete today Below are the specs

• Pool
    • Freeform Pool
    • Max Width - 22'
    • Max Length - 36'
    • Perimeter - 107'
    • Water Surface Area - 592
    • Depth 3.5 - 6
    • Tanning Ledge Entry with Built-in Umbrella and Bubbler
    • Shotcrete
  • Spa
    • 7-in Diameter 18" Raised Spa with 6 Jets - Step down waterfall to pool
    • Sun Deck = 793 sq. feet
  • Pool Cabana
    • 16x20
    • Most area is open
    • Small enclosed Storage Closet
    • Small bathroom
    • Built in sink and refrigerator
    • Separate Barbecue

We just chose Irish Mist Stonescapes and Silverthorne Marine Tile. Wondering if anyone has pics they can share of either of those (combo of the two would be awesome!!!)

SO EXCITED!!!!

Reactions: vivi4n
My husband, daughter and I (and two dogs) live on 5 acres in Dripping Springs, Texas which is about 30 minutes west of Austin. We are in the process of building our pool with a pool cabana. They just finished the Shotcrete today Below are the specs

• Pool
    • Freeform Pool
    • Max Width - 22'
    • Max Length - 36'
    • Perimeter - 107'
    • Water Surface Area - 592
    • Depth 3.5 - 6
    • Tanning Ledge Entry with Built-in Umbrella and Bubbler
    • Shotcrete
  • Spa
    • 7-in Diameter 18" Raised Spa with 6 Jets - Step down waterfall to pool
    • Sun Deck = 793 sq. feet
  • Pool Cabana
    • 16x20
    • Most area is open
    • Small enclosed Storage Closet
    • Small bathroom
    • Built in sink and refrigerator
    • Separate Barbecue

We just chose Irish Mist Stonescapes and Silverthorne Marine Tile. Wondering if anyone has pics they can share of either of those (combo of the two would be awesome!!!)

SO EXCITED!!!!
Love Dripping Springs (or Leakey Faucet as my stepdad likes to call it). One of my favorite coffee shops is there.

Dripping Springs! What a great name!

A few things jumped out at me.
  • Inline chlorinator - Not recommended. If you poke around Pool School on this site, you'll find that chlorine tablets (or pucks as we like to call them) are not sustainable for chlorination.
  • 2 HP Pentair pump - which specific pump is that? WhisperFlo? SuperFlo? With a pool and spa, you will likely prefer a variable speed pump like the IntelliFlo VS, which is 3 HP, but you can set it to your preference to optimize skimming and spa power.
  • IntelliTouch - this is an old automation system which no longer even appears on Pentair's automation landing page. Your pool builder might be trying to clear out stock. You might want to consider something more modern, like IntelliCenter.
I know, so many choices! But you've come to the right place to help narrow them down.

We love Dripping Springs!! We house hunted up there for a long time and just never found what we were looking for and stayed in Houston. We would love to see all of the pics and renderings of your new pool if you have any to share.

Welcome fellow Texan. Dripping Springs is a great place.
All your Pentair equipment is good - I have almost identical kit - multiport valve, filter, heater. I would not do the chlorinator either. I have one and do not use it. I use liquid chlorine and use a floating "duck" that holds 3" chlorine pucks when I go out of town. Most on the forum use a salt water generator (SWG) and you can get plenty of feedback on pros and cons and on which types are best.

Also, I have the Polaris 280 cleaner and it is efficient for my needs but that was new technology when my pool was built 17 years ago. It does require a booster pump (as you have noted) and its own plumbing which is an upfront cost. Most are moving to robots that are electrical. Again lots of pros and cons so you need to make choices now so you know how to plumb or plan for electrical access.

Ensure you have 2 skimmers with independent controls to help clear debris from surface.

Do you plan to have any water features (other than the spa to pool feature you noted)? If you do, consider a separate pump and flow path for that as well. Even if not now in the plan - you may want to put in the plumping to have it for future addition. Just a thought.

Post a graphic of the pool as we all love to see new pools. Good Luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome fellow Texan. Dripping Springs is a great place.
All your Pentair equipment is good - I have almost identical kit - multiport valve, filter, heater. I would not do the chlorinator either. I have one and do not use it. I use liquid chlorine and use a floating "duck" that holds 3" chlorine pucks when I go out of town. Most on the forum use a salt water generator (SWG) and you can get plenty of feedback on pros and cons and on which types are best.

Also, I have the Polaris 280 cleaner and it is efficient for my needs but that was new technology when my pool was built 17 years ago. It does require a booster pump (as you have noted) and its own plumbing which is an upfront cost. Most are moving to robots that are electrical. Again lots of pros and cons so you need to make choices now so you know how to plumb or plan for electrical access.

Ensure you have 2 skimmers with independent controls to help clear debris from surface.

Do you plan to have any water features (other than the spa to pool feature you noted)? If you do, consider a separate pump and flow path for that as well. Even if not now in the plan - you may want to put in the plumping to have it for future addition. Just a thought.

Post a graphic of the pool as we all love to see new pools. Good Luck.

Hi!!! Thanks so much for all of your advice.

Well, unfortunately, I failed to look at the forum until now and they already installed the pool equipment! I don't know what to do about the inline chlorinator now. I still am not sure what it even is. I'm so green on all of this and obviously pretty trusting of our builder. The only solace is our builder built two pools for my husbands parents, 3 pools in our neighborhood and 2 pools for friends. All of them have been extremely happy, but I don't know if they have the same equipment or not. I should have asked.

The one thing I did question was the Polaris. He said that is what he uses on his pool and he recommends it.

No other water features than the spa to the pool.

Dripping Springs! What a great name!

A few things jumped out at me.
  • Inline chlorinator - Not recommended. If you poke around Pool School on this site, you'll find that chlorine tablets (or pucks as we like to call them) are not sustainable for chlorination.
  • 2 HP Pentair pump - which specific pump is that? WhisperFlo? SuperFlo? With a pool and spa, you will likely prefer a variable speed pump like the IntelliFlo VS, which is 3 HP, but you can set it to your preference to optimize skimming and spa power.
  • IntelliTouch - this is an old automation system which no longer even appears on Pentair's automation landing page. Your pool builder might be trying to clear out stock. You might want to consider something more modern, like IntelliCenter.
I know, so many choices! But you've come to the right place to help narrow them down.

I wish I had reviewed this form prior to today b/c they already installed the equipment with, I assume, the inline chlorinator which I don't even know what it does except that it chlorinates! LOL This is the first pool for us so we haven't been great about research and are completely trusting our builder. Before I worry you about how crazy that is, our builder built two pools for my husbands parents, 3 pools in our neighborhood and 2 pools for friends. All of them have been extremely happy, but I don't know if they have the same equipment or not. I should have asked.

I'll find out about what type of pump. Guess, not that it matters now.....

I'll ask about the IntelliTouch vs. the IntelliCenter. I'm hoping we still have time for that.

Thank you Thank you!

I wish I had reviewed this form prior to today b/c they already installed the equipment with, I assume, the inline chlorinator which I don't even know what it does except that it chlorinates! LOL This is the first pool for us so we haven't been great about research and are completely trusting our builder. Before I worry you about how crazy that is, our builder built two pools for my husbands parents, 3 pools in our neighborhood and 2 pools for friends. All of them have been extremely happy, but I don't know if they have the same equipment or not. I should have asked.

I'll find out about what type of pump. Guess, not that it matters now.....

I'll ask about the IntelliTouch vs. the IntelliCenter. I'm hoping we still have time for that.

Thank you Thank you!
No worries. It is never too late - the participants on the TFP forum can help on many things regarding your pool.
I suggest you need to make a decision now on how you will care for your pool.
It is best you read the following and then ask some questions.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
FC/CYA Levels
Test Kits Compared
PoolMath

Also, do you plan to test your pool water regularly or are you hiring a pool service that may provide weekly service. Regardless, it is the opinion of most on this forum that test results from a pool store are inaccurate and can lead you down a path of buying chemicals you do not need and causing more harm than good.
Since you have an inline chlorinator, that indicates the PB has set it up to use 3" chlorine pucks. This is not terrible and quite easy but it can provide challenges in the future. There are basically 3 ways to sanitize your pool (meaning adding chlorine)
1 - using 3" chlorine pucks (they go in the inline chlorinator or can be put in a holder that floats in your pool)
2 - pour in liquid chlorine
3 - use a salt water generator
If using the 3" pucks, you will increase your CYA (you will learn about this in the info noted in the links) over time and this will require you to use more chlorine (like shock) to maintain your pool properly sanitized.

The Polaris 280 cleaner is fine - it is simple and easy to service. Just ensure they set it up properly with hose lengths and spacing of the floats. You can search on U-tube for a lot of info to ensure it operates properly.

I'll let you review this info and then you can get back to us with questions.