Hello from central TX

fordt

Aug 23, 2022
Texas
Hoping soon to be a pool owner! Joined because every forum I’ve participated on always has a wealth of experience and knowledge to tap into. I’m looking to put in a small (5100 gallon) fiberglass plunge pool and power/pump/filter it using solar power ONLY.. hope there’s some like minded folks out here to help!

Any really GOOD experiences with fiberglass pools in the San Antonio area? I’ve contacted a San Juan rep because we really like the looks/shape/functionality of the Sea Isle model-5’ depth, two long ledges along 2 sides which would tie in well to our “step in off the back porch“ location. But really are trying to research a similar model at this point, the 5’ depth is pretty much a necessity for some exercise options and we see that Viking makes a similar model in a Hydrozone model although we’d pass on the swim spa part of it and wonder if they’d just install it as is. Been reading furiously here for the last few days and amazingly enough I’m not scared off yet😅! It seems it all comes down to the PB you find, I’ve got a neighbor I need to check with who just had one installed about 5 months ago to see how happy they were with their installer. Any San Antonio area fiberglass PB recommendations would certainly be appreciated……otherwise, back to the forum search function!

There are a few FG installers around us. Gary's Pools & Patio is off Hwy 281, Lonestar in New Braunfels, , Ace Fiberglass, and a few others. Doesn't hurt to call around and ask questions. Consider the following:
- Do they do all of their own work? If they sub out, what exactly?
- How do they backfill?
- Can you upgrade the equipment (i.e. add a salt water generator)?

I think most of them are happy to provide a free on-site visit and quote.

I REALLY wanted Ace to look at the project as they are a San Juan distributor and seemed really knowledgeable with a few conversation…..but they decided they are too far away. Thanks for the others! I’m still researching the answers to those questions here!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Well, it looks like no one believes a pool can be solo solar powered, 3 distributors have told me they will not warrant a new pool installation that runs a pump/filter only during daylight hours…..so much for THAT idea…