Heavy rains have messed with my chemistry

mobanks

May 7, 2024
Willis, Texas
Brand new pool owner here! Our pool was completed end of February and was officially turned over to us to manage beginning of April (it was being managed by the pool builder for a month after completion). Our chemistry appeared to be good until we recently had some VERY VERY heavy rains here in north houston/conroe area. Since then, I've been able to get everything back in balance except my CYA and CH. I am using a WaterGuru S2 with a C5 cassette for testing. I also recently ordered a FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit to help supplement the data from the WatarGuru (awaiting it's arrival).

My current readings are as follows:
FC: 5.3
PH: 7.7
TA: 93
CH: 229
CYA: 35
Pool Temp: 86 F

Since the heavy rains, I've added (using the sock method) two 4lb bags of stabilizer (clorox brand) a few days ago. The CYA moved up about 20. I currently haven't added anything to increase my CH. Pool details are below. Should I go ahead and add more CYA to get to in the target range of 60-90 for a SWG pool? Also, per the poolmath app I should add 77lbs of calcium chloride to get to a target of 450. Is that correct? If so, what the most economical way to get that much calcium chloride. I've seen some folks suggest Snow Joe pellets from home depot (Snow Joe 20 lb. 94% Pure Calcium Chloride Ice Melt Pellets MELT20CPP - The Home Depot). Is this okay to add to my pool?

I appreciate any insight and assistance that ya'll well provide.

Location - North Houston/Conroe Area
In-Ground, with PebbleTec and microglass
Size - 37,400 Gal
SWG (Intellichlor IC60)
Pentair Variable Flow Pump (Intelliflo/Pro3)
AquaCal SQ166R HeatWave SuperQuiet

Last edited:
Ch of 250 or above is ok. I would not rush to raise it to 450. Don't follow the robot blindly.

What is your fill water CH?

We don't trust the accuracy of the WaterGuru. You should have a full test kit as backup to accurately test when you have problems like this. Test Kits