Heavy Green Algae, Getting Ready to SLAM, Running out of Time - Suggestions?

8/19 (Wed)
note: Haven't added any shock since 1am
10:00am:
FC: 18 (test kit results)
CC: 0

Pool still about same cloudiness level as last 2 days. Installed SLIME BAGS on the (2) returns, cleaned the Aquabot again, and brushed this morning. Going to see if I can find some DE today and give that a try.

Kendall,
That's great that your K2006 is in your hands now! I promise you that it will be worth every penny just to know that now you are in control of your pool, and not some summer-job kid at the pool store. Just like anything new, there is a learning curve involved. But the satisfaction of a sparkly-clean pool feels so good. :mrgreen:

So, did you run a full set of tests with your :testkit: "mad scientist kit"? I saw that you reported your fc & cc results. Your pH will test high while your FC is over 10ppm. There are "work-arounds", but unless your pH has been wildly outta whack, & you have equipment (primarily heaters) that could be damaged by waiting until after your SLAM is finished, there's no reason to go to the trouble.
All the other tests can be run even with SLAM level FC.
(BTW, if you don't already know this, always use the 10ml sample size. For the purposes of a home pool, you generally don't need resolution greater than that provides.)

In particular, it is important for you to confirm your CYA level--that's probably the test that pool stores get wrong most often. There are many reasons for that... but mostly they just don't do it the way the test manufacturer recommends, because it would take longer and they'd need to go outside in the sun. Plus, they rarely seem to think it matters anyway, since they don't understand the importance of the FC:CYA ratio.
But, your CYA level is very important in continuing the SLAM, so you need to get as accurate a result as possible.

Here are some tips for doing the CYA test:
• It's recommended that you do the test while standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube shaded by your body.
• Try to test at about the same time each day, so that you are getting the same effects of the sunlight each time. If you test once in the late evening and the next time at high noon, you may get different results… even using the exact same sample. (You can test this out for yourself—see below)
• While holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin dripping the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it's completely obscured. Then, raise the tube up to eye level and look at the scale that is imprinted on the vial.
• Your CYA should be read at the line where the solution came up to. If the fluid level was in-between values, round up to the next higher number. The scale isn't linear, so mid-way between, say 40 & 50, is not 45.
• After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, give it another little shake, and do the test again a second, third, or fourth time.
• You can also use this same test mixture to try different lighting conditions and other changes, to see how important it is to keep your testing parameters consistent. For example, try any of the following: holding the view tube higher than waist level; or facing the sun; or view the test indoors; or in the shade on the porch; anything else you can think of to compare.
• Consistency is arguably the most important test parameter in CYA measurement. The margin of error (MoE) is +/- 10ppm regardless, so as long as you are doing things exactly the same, and viewing from waist level to see the dot disappear, then you will likely be within the MoE.
• What you really don’t want is to have results be different only because you tested inside once and outside facing the sun a different time, or some other such. Pick a way, and stick with it!

Haven't had a chance to play "mad scientist" yet. Haven't tested anything except chlorine levels, and figured Lelie's had to be close when they tested CYA the other day and told me "45", but I see I'll have to re-test!

Haven't needed to add much shock since algae went "gray".
Water still cloudy, but I can see 3rd step and baaaarely make out the bottom of the shallow end.
Have both Slime Bags on, so hopefully they are doing something. Going to pick up some D.E in about an hour and hope that speeds up the process a little.

8/20 (Thurs):
10am - added 1/2 gal 12.5% shock

3pm:
FC: 11
CC: 0
adding another 1/2 gal 12.5% shock (after test)

Sorry, haven't had time to post results in last few days, but have been keeping chlorine levels at SLAM level until this past weekend, when I let them drop.

8/25 - 6pm
Used K-2006 Test Kit and ran a full set of tests
FC: 3
CC: ~(.5)
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
CYA: 36

I have let the FC level drop from SLAM levels since it was up over 15 for well over a week and there is no "green" tint in the water any longer and hasn't been for over a week. Brush pool daily and Aquabot running 24/7.
I will keep it up higher than "3" however until this water clears up.

8/26 - 10:30am
Water is still moderately cloudy. Have been running filter, Aquabot, and Slime Bags on returns 24/7. Still have D.E in the sand filter - haven't backwashed, since pressure hasn't risen enough. Can just make out bottom of pattern on shallow end. Seems the dead algae is bypassing filter. The Slime Bags trap some, but seem to "release" some when I touch/disturb them, so they are not getting "everything". I just e-mailed Slime Bag mfg, and he suggested washing the Slime Bags daily. I have been leaving them on longer, and had only washed them once before, since they still looked fairly "white". They did wash out some gray algae though. Going to wash them again right now.

Aquabot picking up some, as well. . . . but somehow 100% of the dead algae isn't getting trapped between the 3 "filtration" devices running (filter, Slime Bags, Aquabot).

Was thinking of adding 8oz of water clarifier, just to try to collect/settle the algae - do you think this will help? I have a few bottles on-hand, but was putting it off, seeing what the standard "process" would do.

Sorry, haven't had time to post results in last few days, but have been keeping chlorine levels at SLAM level until this past weekend, when I let them drop.

8/25 - 6pm
Used K-2006 Test Kit and ran a full set of tests
FC: 3
CC: ~(.5)
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
CYA: 36

I have let the FC level drop from SLAM levels since it was up over 15 for well over a week and there is no "green" tint in the water any longer and hasn't been for over a week. Brush pool daily and Aquabot running 24/7.
I will keep it up higher than "3" however until this water clears up.

8/26 - 10:30am
Water is still moderately cloudy. Have been running filter, Aquabot, and Slime Bags on returns 24/7. Still have D.E in the sand filter - haven't backwashed, since pressure hasn't risen enough. Can just make out bottom of pattern on shallow end. Seems the dead algae is bypassing filter. The Slime Bags trap some, but seem to "release" some when I touch/disturb them, so they are not getting "everything". I just e-mailed Slime Bag mfg, and he suggested washing the Slime Bags daily. I have been leaving them on longer, and had only washed them once before, since they still looked fairly "white". They did wash out some gray algae though. Going to wash them again right now.

Aquabot picking up some, as well. . . . but somehow 100% of the dead algae isn't getting trapped between the 3 "filtration" devices running (filter, Slime Bags, Aquabot).

Was thinking of adding 8oz of water clarifier, just to try to collect/settle the algae - do you think this will help? I have a few bottles on-hand, but was putting it off, seeing what the standard "process" would do.
Did you pass an OCLT & have a CC less than or equal to 0.5ppm?

A SLAM is complete when:
1) The water is clear (sounds like yours is still cloudy)
2) you lose less than 1ppm of FC overnight (OCLT)
3) CC is =/< 0.5ppm

Until you meet all three of those criteria your SLAM is not complete and you should maintain SLAM FC level.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

How are you coming up with a CYA of 36ppm?

Yes, there were multiple nights late last week losing less than 1 FC overnight, and multiple days of CC=0. Just got a CC over 0 yesterday as I let the chlorine level drop.

I got the CYA of 36 using the Taylor K-2006 test kit, wasn't quite at "35" mark on the tube when the black dot disappeared - interpolated to "36-37" Did it outside later in the day with sun to my back.

Just washed Slime Bags and Aquabot filter bag again.

Don't "think" I have any live algae. . . . but I certainly might be wrong. Do you think I should "up" the FC level to 16 again?? I "think" it's just a matter of filtering the dead algae out. . . but obviously I could be wrong. Suggestions please.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.