Heating options for small above ground pool.

May 19, 2015
Sicklerville nJ
Hi all!

A little about my pool. It's never in full sun. It actually is only in 1/4 sun at the most EVER. We have a LOT of trees in our yard and our neighbors yard. A quote to trim them was over 1000 dollars so that got me thinking of heating options as this would extend our season and I have an infant.

Our pool even when it's in the 90s stays in the low to mid 70s. I am a baby. It's cold.

What are our options here? Affordable ones?

Any input on those cheap solar ones that hook up to the filter? How about electric? What is the cost and what is needed instillation wise?

We do have a solar cover that gets us maybe 2 degrees. Forget to put it on one night and that's lost.

Long time lurker and long time convert here. I'll have to post my opening swamp renovation this year later too!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Solar heating is all about sqft exposure to the sun. I would not get the tiny little dome-type products. You can get a 2 or 4' x 20' solar mat on Ebay for pretty cheap.
For solar, generally you want 50-100% sqft of your pool surface area (yours is 250 sqft)
These could be run with your existing pump just have to have a place to set them up in the sun.

Thank you!

I saw the little dome ones but issue is it connects to the filter and that entire side is shade. I'd have to run it across the yard somehow. Even with the solar I would need to do the same. I'm considering electric, but I'm going to scope out the yard and see if I can't find a sunny place SOMEWHERE.

Thank you!

I saw the little dome ones but issue is it connects to the filter and that entire side is shade. I'd have to run it across the yard somehow. Even with the solar I would need to do the same. I'm considering electric, but I'm going to scope out the yard and see if I can't find a sunny place SOMEWHERE.

I have been looking at a heat pump that you can just plug into a mains socket so no need for an electrician. Would that be of any use to you?

ecoheatpumps.eu

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

I have been looking at a heat pump that you can just plug into a mains socket so no need for an electrician. Would that be of any use to you?

ecoheatpumps.eu

I don't know if they sell them in the USA though with the correct plug. Maybe someone else on here can tell you if there is an American version and if they are any good in your situation.

A small heat pump will work fine for your pool up to around 75kBTU they will run on dedicated a 20amp 240V circuit. Which helps to keep you wiring cost down. If you have a good spot for solar panels they are a great option too.

Cost wise I would plan for 500-1000+ for solar panels after all the plumbing and controllers are installed and the panels mounted.

A heat pump that size will run about 1500-2800 installed. Assuming the electrical run is fairly basic.

A small heat pump will work fine for your pool up to around 75kBTU they will run on dedicated a 20amp 240V circuit. Which helps to keep you wiring cost down. If you have a good spot for solar panels they are a great option too.

Cost wise I would plan for 500-1000+ for solar panels after all the plumbing and controllers are installed and the panels mounted.

A heat pump that size will run about 1500-2800 installed. Assuming the electrical run is fairly basic.
Please point me in the direction of a 75KBTU heatpump for $1500 installed. Best price I have found for a 50KBTU heatpump is $1600 without installation.

I was guessing a bit there I know mine was about 2k from a local dealer so I figured a 50k unit might be a bit cheaper. I was also buying a pool at the same time so there may have been a bundle discount in there somewhere. For a unit that size if you already have power run there's very little in extra parts you need for install. I was also assuming it would be a diy install.

Same and that's over the limit I'm willing to pay for a 10k gallon above ground pool. If I had a bigger pool yeah but I can't justify it for this size.

Anybody have any luck with liquid solar?

I want to try this, but I'm so afraid of messing up my pump or chemistry somehow.

Same and that's over the limit I'm willing to pay for a 10k gallon above ground pool. If I had a bigger pool yeah but I can't justify it for this size.

Anybody have any luck with liquid solar?

I want to try this, but I'm so afraid of messing up my pump or chemistry somehow.

Unlikely to work if you have ANY wind at all. Many threads discuss this.

Liquid solar works if there is no wind but it's only about half as effective as a traditional cover.

A traditional bubble solar cover is a much more economical and effective option. Actually with any type of pool heater option a solar cover is a must have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.