Heating my pool for the first time.

Oct 30, 2018
Tampa
What do I need to know??

I just worked out how to switch the thing on. Had to text the previous owner of the house and when he replied with "have you switched it on at the board" and I hadn't I was a bit embarrassed so just ignored him and hopefully he doesn't text back. I was actually going to phone someone out, ffs. Imagine an engineer strolling in and just flicking the on/off switch I didn't know existed :( probs still would've charged $200.

Anyway, good news is I have it running. It's currently 67 (Florida) and I've set it to 80. Naw sure that'll be hot enough but it's a start. I've googled to see what's what and seen it can take a couple of days to heat 20 degrees so this has me wondering? I'm assuming the heater only works when the pool pump is on, but I have the pump set to 8-5 everyday...do I need to let it run 24/7 to keep the pool warm? Surely not, man?

But if I only heat the pool up from 8-5 it'll never get warm or stay warm.

What's best practice here??

Let's begin with the simple things first - what make and model heater do you have? You know how many BTU's your heater can produce? Gas or Heat Pump heater? Find labels on the heater and post pics if you don't know.

What automation do you have? Where is this board with a switch.

What model pump do you have? Single speed or variable speed?

Posting pics of your entire equipment pad and valves may help us understand what you have to give better advice.

All pool heaters only run when the pump is on. How long you should run the pump depends on the answers to the above questions.

Reactions: Mandela
I went to your previous posts to see if you have any pics of your pool or equip pad and your pics are not stored on the site so the links are broken. I've found I can add 20 deg to my pool in a day, but it also depends on the ambient temperature and time of year. It will take longer (more gas) in the winter because the surroundings are also colder, and I'll loose heat to the ground and air. If you are planning to try and keep the pool warm for an extended period you should cover it at night. You will lose a lot of heat to radiation to the sky.

Let's begin with the simple things first - what make and model heater do you have? You know how many BTU's your heater can produce? Gas or Heat Pump heater? Find labels on the heater and post pics if you don't know.

Posting pics of your entire equipment pad and valves may help us understand what you have to give better advice.

All pool heaters only run when the pump is on. How long you should run the pump depends on the answers to the above questions.
Jeez, man...nothing with pools is ever simple, eh?

I will reply with photos shortly, I'm currently being bankrupt by my wife's Christmas shopping so as soon as I'm home I'll post.

Thanks, man

It's a (Intertek?) weather king and is below. Not sure about BTUs. Had a look at the manual but no mention, I'm afraid. It's electric.

Screenshot_20191214-150951.png
Screenshot_20191214-151019.png
Screenshot_20191214-151002.png

I have a typical timer board thingy on the side of the house, about 15 feet from the pump.
Screenshot_20191214-152005.png

I'm sorry, man. I don't know.

IMG_20191214_150200.jpgIMG_20191214_150152.jpgIMG_20191214_150639.jpg

I'm not worried about the cost as this is only for the next couple weeks when my family from Scotland visit for Christmas. Swimming at Christmas is a real treat for us.

I just can't fathom how this works. I mean, I've been heating all day from 68 and should get to around 78 when the pump goes off at 5...do I just lose all that heat overnight and have to start again...how will it ever get hot enough to go in?

Alternatively, do I need to leave the pump running 24/7?? This seems crazy??

Surely, there's a way the heater regulates it and when it drops below the target temp it kicks the pump into action for a while until it restores heat...kinda like the AC unit does? That's on and off all day as it regulates the temp of the house.
I don't get how the heater works with the pump though :unsure:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your heater is about 110,000 BTUs when the air temperature is 80 degrees. BTU output will drop as the air temperature drops. 1 BTU will raise 1 lbs of water 1 degree an hour. 12,500 gallons is just over 100,000 lbs of water. So your Heat Pump will raise your pool 1 degree an hour at best.

The pump has to be running and the HP on with water flowing through the HP for it to heat your pool. If you let the pump and HP turn off at night you will lose heat in the pool through evaporation in the cold nights. A pool cover will help prevent that.

If you keep the pump and HP on 24/7 then the water temperature will eventually get to the set temperature and the HP will cycle as required to maintain the temperature. You will spend a bit in your electric bill for the heated pool.

Your heater is about 110,000 BTUs when the air temperature is 80 degrees. BTU output will drop as the air temperature drops. 1 BTU will raise 1 lbs of water 1 degree an hour. 12,500 gallons is just over 100,000 lbs of water. So your Heat Pump will raise your pool 1 degree an hour at best.

The pump has to be running and the HP on with water flowing through the HP for it to heat your pool. If you let the pump and HP turn off at night you will lose heat in the pool through evaporation in the cold nights. A pool cover will help prevent that.

If you keep the pump and HP on 24/7 then the water temperature will eventually get to the set temperature and the HP will cycle as required to maintain the temperature. You will spend a bit in your electric bill for the heated pool.
Ok so just leave the pump on until it gets to Target temp then the heater will start cycling (like the house AC does) but the pool pump will need to run 24/7. The heater won't kick the pump into action to cycle?? (Not sure how that could possibly work anyway).

Ok so just leave the pump on until it gets to Target temp then the heater will start cycling (like the house AC does) but the pool pump will need to run 24/7. The heater won't kick the pump into action to cycle?? (Not sure how that could possibly work anyway).
Correct.. that's what I do when I heat my pool for winter events (I have a November and March birthdays)... So I'll run the pumps and heater overnight with the pool covered to get it to temp. Then the heater's thermostat will keep it at temp.
The heater (and its circuitry) are designed to only run when the pump is going.. obviously it would not be good to run the heater without water flow. I don't think you have the kind of system that would monitor the water temp without water flowing through the equipment and turn it all on when the temp gets low.

.. obviously it would not be good to run the heater without water flow.

Heaters have a pressure switch and will not turn on without water flow. Heater cannot turn on the pump or sense water temperature without water flowing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.